Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picked up a 1987 Schwinn Circuit in beautiful condition

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 08:22 AM
unprintable

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course - Green

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"You think that's a SCHWINN!"

Never thought I'd have a Schwinn in my shed. I've never liked their cheap mass-produced bikes and have never gotten to touch a Paramount. But yesterday I paid $250 for a 1987 Circuit in almost mint condition (a few tiny, tiny scratches/scuffs in the paint), with everything that was original to it, including a white San Marco Concor Supercorsa Profil that, after a bit of scrubbing, is clean and sparkly. Considering it wasn't what was on the bike as sold, I'm not sure how much it was ever used, but it hardly looks worn. Even the tires that came on it are the original Schwinn "Pro Circuit" tires. I'll probably want to change these out pretty soon, but it's still cool.

It also came with some upgraded clipless pedals and shoes that happened to fit my feet, some extra pairs of cleats, and the original MKS pedals.

The matte black finish is something else. Gorgeous! and I love that the Araya rims that came with it and the cable housing are also black.

Both wheels could use a little bit of truing, but I have a spoke wrench in the mail that should be arriving any day now. And it's just my size! Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked. It also means I'm gonna have to move a bike out of here, but I'll make that tough decision in a few days.

What was funny (and also sucky) was that on the way back home (mind you, it's almost 8:00pm at this point) a hose connected to my car's radiator blew so I had green antifreeze all over the inside of the engine. I pulled over as quickly as I could to prevent engine overheating, but there wasn't a mile marker in sight.... so the Circuit saved me probably about 20 minutes as it was getting dark, while I searched for a mile marker. Called AAA and had them tow me to a mechanic, and from there rode the bike home. My Schwinn the Hero.

The only bummer, really, is that from what I can tell, the Zefal frame pump doesn't work, or maybe I'm just not doing it right. Have never had a frame pump before so it's quite new to me. But at least it does match the matte black of the frame.

Pictures to come. I grabbed my camera but saw that I had left it on last time I used it, so the battery's charging.
Old 04-18-10, 08:38 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 83 Posts
I am about the least mystical person around, but it sure does sound like that bike appeared at just the right time for you.

BTW we just caught up with that movie ('Burn After Reading') some weeks back. That's become a favorite quote of my teen son. I suspect the Coens are cyclists themselves, due to that joke and the later line about how the bike is locked up but 'you can pick those locks with a Bic pen!'

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 04-18-10, 04:24 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 637 Posts
I grew up with the bottom end Schwinns, so I got where I really could not stand them. But then I picked up several of the Tenax framed models from the late 80s, and I changed my opinion (they all moved on, none was my size). I had been looking for either a Prologue or a Circuit from the late 80s to add to my personal fleet. Finally found a Prologue in my size (been looking for well over a year). It even came with a color matched frame pump (that works).

While I have found many nice bikes in the last couple of years, its a lot harder to find a specific model in a specific size...

My Prologue when bought was in excellent original condition, but the gods of ebay/bike shipping frowned upon me, so it was kind of trashed up by the time it got to SC. But it has been in my bike "hospital" (the basement workshop), and has recovered nicely. Definitely a keeper. I may keep looking for a Circuit, I have always been a fan of the Sante components.

Enjoy that Circuit, and post some pictures.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-18-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 04:32 PM
unprintable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some pictures for you all.

All I've done up to this point was clean up the saddle and put it on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1011610..jpg (84.2 KB, 128 views)
P1011605..jpg (105.1 KB, 156 views)
P1011600..jpg (104.8 KB, 112 views)
P1011604..jpg (66.0 KB, 108 views)
P1011602..jpg (58.2 KB, 107 views)
P1011614..jpg (90.9 KB, 108 views)
P1011613..jpg (95.5 KB, 108 views)
P1011609..jpg (90.9 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by unprintable; 04-18-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 04:39 PM
unprintable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Sante came on later models of the Circuit, maybe?. (EDIT: Just confirmed this, thanks to tugrul's efforts to put the catalogs back online. in '88 the Circuit came with Sante). In '87 the Circuit came with Sprint (not 9000... so friction-shifting) all over. Good luck with the search. Although, I've found that the bikes I actually seek never come up, so all of my bikes up to this point have been "surprises" in a way. I certainly never dreamed I would want a Schwinn or love a Schwinn so much.

Last edited by unprintable; 04-18-10 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 04:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
jealous! :-)
Old 04-18-10, 04:50 PM
kirke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oooh, I like late 1980s Schwinns. Columbus tubing, Japanese-built, nice componentry. The Suntour Sprint stuff is awesome.
Does anyone know how to identity whether a Schwinn is built by Panasonic?
Old 04-18-10, 04:56 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Very pretty! I love these Columbus Schwinns. I got an '87 Super Sport (a model down from yours; differences is the SL/SP vs Tenax and Sprint vs 600EX) and love it. All the Columbus Schwinns of that era were built in Taiwan by Giant (Paramounts excluded). For the older Japanese Panasonic Schwinns, just look at the head badge: "Schwinn Approved" = Panasonic built bike.
Old 04-18-10, 05:01 PM
unprintable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember reading a post from some time ago in which somebody said they asked Richard Schwinn where the Circuits were made and he replied that they were hand-made in Chicago. But I actually can't find it now so maybe I made that up.

EDIT: OK found it. Was mistaken, it was Mississippi, not Chicago. Not sure if this is true, but assuming the guy really did ask Richard, I would think it accurate.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=1#post4041979

Last edited by unprintable; 04-18-10 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 05:10 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by unprintable
I remember reading a post from some time ago in which somebody said they asked in an email Richard Schwinn where the Circuits were made and he replied that they were hand-made in Chicago. But I actually can't find it now so maybe I made that up.

EDIT: OK found it. Was mistaken, it was Mississippi, not Chicago. Not sure if this is true, but assuming the guy really did ask Richard, I would think it accurate.
My black Circuit is U.S. made. Definitly NOT a Panasonic made bike.
Old 04-18-10, 07:21 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Nice find unprintable. I think you did well. That saddle in VGC is worth $100.

I had the black Circuit and really liked the Sprint components. It was a 58cm. A few months later I found the red Circuit w/ Sante parts in a 60cm. It fits like it was made for me so the black one moved on.

I put 9 speed briftrers, a mix of 105, Ultegra and a Mavic Open pro wheelset on it. I do a 40 mile group ride every Sunday. I am the only one with a steel bike and I like it that way. It's a fantastic ride.

I have had the fork off and it's pretty heavy. I would love to find A Scwhinn Peleton that fit me. It has a Columbus fork to go with the frame.

Have fun with your bike and ride it hard.
Old 04-18-10, 08:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,412 Times in 912 Posts
Originally Posted by kirke
Oooh, I like late 1980s Schwinns. Columbus tubing, Japanese-built, nice componentry. The Suntour Sprint stuff is awesome.
Does anyone know how to identity whether a Schwinn is built by Panasonic?
Yes. Outstanding paint quality is a dead give-away.
Old 04-18-10, 10:43 PM
unprintable

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmh657
That saddle in VGC is worth $100.
So I've heard. I want to actually use but it did also come with what appears to be an early Velo Senso saddle or something like that. Not sure if it's nice at all but it seems somewhat generic. The demon on my shoulder keeps telling me I should recoup some of the expense for the bike by selling it, while I guess the angel on the other shoulder tells me that it's too cool and pretty not to keep and use. It's possible I have my angels and demons mixed up.
Old 04-18-10, 10:46 PM
Oregon Southpaw
Larger Chainring

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Circuit. Bike-Boom-Puegeot. First "real bike" Trek 720 Hybrid in gross disrepair.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^What RobbieTunes said.

My dad's 86 Tempo (built presumably at Panasonic) has the most beautiful paint, and is barely scratched after all these years of use.

I have an 88 Circuit (Built in Miss) that came to me basically NOS, and in one season of riding, the paint is going to hell.

I love love love my Circuit, and am working to restore it to OEM equipment, the Sante group, which is great since I frequently see bits going for $$$
Old 04-19-10, 05:22 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Panasonic built have the serial number stramped into the bottom eidge of the lower head tube lug. They also require the dreaded 30.0mm headset cups versus the 30.2mm that the rest of know civilization uses.
Old 04-19-10, 06:19 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by unprintable
In '87 the Circuit came with Sprint (not 9000... so friction-shifting)
I think there may have been a mid year change on this.

I bought one that had the Sprint friction components on it. The seller had misrepresented the size and it was a bit too big for me so I bought another one that fit me.
The second one had Sprint 9000 index shifting rear derailleur and shifters.

I've seen enough photos of others which also had the Sprint 9000 to convince me that some of them came with it from the factory.

Nice find at a good price! I paid more for both of mine(and had to pay shipping to boot).