Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'81 Schwinn World Sport: derailleur help please!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 09:44 AM
given.am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll start off by saying I'm a complete novice, I know hardly anything about bikes or riding, save what I learned in about 4 hours of research lastnite. That said, I bought this bike for $50 off Craigslist to commute to work. I was cleaning it yesterday and in my haste in taking apart the derailleur to clean it, I believe I either reassembled it wrong or it's not affixed to the bike in the original manner. While it rides ok around the block ok, the chain doesn't appear to have much tension on it, a reason for concern if I'm going to be 4-5 miles from home. Would anyone kindly have pictures or diagrams of how this is supposed to look? Help would be greatly appreciated since I need it on the road to go to work in the morning! Pics available if needed

edit: one other thing. when I took apart the derailleur I removed a spring that determines the "springiness" of the device. there were three holes (which I'm assuming are performance settings) the spring could be inserted in, all with varying levels of tension on the spring. how do I know if my setting is correct?

Last edited by given.am; 05-10-10 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-10-10, 09:54 AM
Fixie Flyer

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT 2009, Fuji Sunfire 1.0 2009, Schwinn Traveler 1988, Cannondale SR 500 1988, Giant Boulder MTB 1989, Trek 800 1997, Schwinn Speedster 1968, Schwinn Collegiate 1974, Schwinn Varsity 1962, Raleigh Three Speed 1971, and 3 cruisers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the bike has the old style rear dropout, just pull the rear wheel towards the rear and make sure the chain is taught.
The mark should still be there from all the years of riding.
Old 05-10-10, 10:13 AM
dabac

Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Post some pic, or visit the patron saint of bike lore, www.sheldonbrown.com, see if that clears things up.
Old 05-10-10, 11:02 AM
given.am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Post some pic, or visit the patron saint of bike lore, www.sheldonbrown.com, see if that clears things up.
updated with pics! thanks alot!
Old 05-10-10, 08:06 PM
Chris Chicago

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
I have that same derailleur. never messed with the internals so i cant help you re. the spring. but if the chain is slack you can just loosen the bold and rotate the whole derailler in the dropout until it tightens up to where you want it.

that said. before i realized this i rode it a little slack for a while and never had a problem
Old 05-10-10, 08:13 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I would suggest you put the spring in the middle hole and screw in the screw your picture shows at the rear of the derailleur just below the top pivot until the derailleur body is approximately parallel to the chainstay (easier if you pull back on the derailleur as you turn in the adjustment screw). That will increase the chain tension as well as allow the derailleur to shift better.
Old 05-11-10, 10:31 AM
given.am

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
I have that same derailleur. never messed with the internals so i cant help you re. the spring. but if the chain is slack you can just loosen the bold and rotate the whole derailler in the dropout until it tightens up to where you want it.

that said. before i realized this i rode it a little slack for a while and never had a problem
how can I rotate the entire derailleur in the dropout since that screw is screwed into the dropout as well? I'm thinking I screwed it in in the wrong spot and that's my problem all along. I tried affixing the screw to the hole in the frame (identical on both sides) but it wouldn't stay on. I don't know how I managed to make such a seemingly elementary problem turn so complex.

Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
I would suggest you put the spring in the middle hole and screw in the screw your picture shows at the rear of the derailleur just below the top pivot until the derailleur body is approximately parallel to the chainstay (easier if you pull back on the derailleur as you turn in the adjustment screw). That will increase the chain tension as well as allow the derailleur to shift better.
I'm going to try that. Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by given.am; 05-11-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 11:23 AM
Chris Chicago

Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
how can I rotate the entire derailleur in the dropout since that screw is screwed into the dropout as well? I'm thinking I screwed it in in the wrong spot and that's my problem all along. I tried affixing the screw to the hole in the frame (identical on both sides) but it wouldn't stay on. I don't know how I managed to make such a seemingly elementary problem turn so complex.
ah yes. mine did not have that extra screw. i should have noticed. sorry. looks like the spring is where you'll fix your issue.

though, if all else fails .. you might try removing that extra screw, rotating the whole thing and letting the axle bolt keep it in place. seems to stay in place in mine that way. might be worth a shot if the spring alone cant get you tensioned correct.

Last edited by Chris Chicago; 05-11-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-11-10, 04:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Cross Post.
Old 05-13-10, 07:17 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Absolutely do not rotate the derailleur mounting plate - that raises the derailleur pivot, changing the geometry from what it was designed to be. Besides, who wants the derailleur to fall off every time you remove the rear wheel? Only tension the spring further if the chain is still slack after adusting the position of the body using the screw I mentioned.