Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lugged steel frame mostly hype...or worth the upgrade?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 08:44 PM
Elantr025

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

As several members, maybe know, earlier today I posted here with advice on my first
dream steel bike. And I have another question....

Is the option of a lugged steel frame vs a basic welded price really worth the upgrade
and extra money, or is lugged really purely cosmetic? Does one or the other effect the
ride quality of the bike at all?

I certainly LOVE the looked of a lugged steel frame, but this option might indeed push
me way past my $3250.00 budget!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-05-11, 08:48 PM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was discussed for a bit in this thread, bottom of second and most of third

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...at-heavy/page2
Old 01-05-11, 09:31 PM
johnny99

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cheap steel is not worth the cost vs. aluminum. Expensive steel is very nice.
Old 01-05-11, 09:55 PM
DRietz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There really is no structural/strength advantage to a lugged steel frame over a welded frame besides elegance. I ride a TIG-welded SOMA Smoothie Road Race and it's quite a nice bike.

I'd go with steel over aluminum any day of the week.
Old 01-05-11, 10:01 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
While no difference in ride quality between lugged and TIG welded steel, keep in mind that a lugged steel bike is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Might also have better resale value.

Also, were you to crash your bike, it is gonna be easier to replace tubes at lugs.
Old 01-05-11, 10:30 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
all cosmetic

but it looks prettier, so i have them
Old 01-05-11, 10:34 PM
canam73

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I ride lugged steel and have ridden some welded frames. I couldn't detect any differences that couldn't be attributed to geometry or wheels/tires. Jed19 brings up a valid point about replacing tubes, but depending on what frames your talking about the lugged can cost nearly double to start with. I just liked the look and was patient for good deals. If you want to see a cheaper lugged frame check out the Soma Stanyan. Although I think you were looking domestic production and Somas are imported.
Old 01-05-11, 10:38 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Just what I was going to say. I have several bikes, aluminum and steel, but my favorites are an Atlantis, a Rambouillet and an old ('80s) Trek converted to singlespeed. They all happen to be lugged steel, and if i ever buy another one (doubtful; I have enough to see me on in), it will be steel, too. I don't know for sure that the lugs make any difference except in looks and repairabiity (you can replace individual tubes pretty easily). From the standpoint of feel and perceived performance, though, I just like steel better than anything else.
Old 01-05-11, 10:59 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
at the joints, the heat affected zone in a welded steel bike is smaller than that of a brazed/lugged frame. that said, silver-brazing uses less heat than brass brazing.
Old 01-05-11, 11:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Liked 1,259 Times in 714 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Although true, are the OP's options different types of steel? You can have expensive lugged and expensive welded.
Old 01-05-11, 11:25 PM
mazdaspeed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Why not just get a high end vintage frame?
Old 01-05-11, 11:25 PM
Dave Kirk 

Bikes: Kirk

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
If you are comparing two steel bikes - one tigged and the other lugged - and they are both put together by builders who know what they are doing AND they are built with the same tubes then you should end up with two bikes that feel the same. To put it in the most overly simple way - once the pipes are hooked together they don't care how they are hooked together.

The weight should be very similar (lugs add a small amount of weight - much of which can be offset but using thinner tubes that can be silvered together)

The stiffness should be the same.

The fatigue resistance will be a bit better with lugs (but properly built either should outlast you).

They should be very, very similar in strength (again - built well it's a non-issue either way).

If the same tubes are used in the same design the ride will be the same.

They look different.

I say get the one that makes you smile. Life is too short to get something and wish you had something else. Buy the lugs because they look good to you or buy the tig because you love the welder's mark and want to save a few bucks. You really can't go wrong if you follow your instincts. Just buy one from someone you trust and either way you'll end up with a great bike.

And..... enjoy the process.

Dave
Old 01-05-11, 11:31 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Kirk
If you are comparing two steel bikes - one tigged and the other lugged - and they are both put together by builders who know what they are doing AND they are built with the same tubes then you should end up with two bikes that feel the same. To put it in the most overly simple way - once the pipes are hooked together they don't care how they are hooked together.

The weight should be very similar (lugs add a small amount of weight - much of which can be offset but using thinner tubes that can be silvered together)

The stiffness should be the same.

The fatigue resistance will be a bit better with lugs (but properly built either should outlast you).

They should be very, very similar in strength (again - built well it's a non-issue either way).

If the same tubes are used in the same design the ride will be the same.

They look different.

I say get the one that makes you smile. Life is too short to get something and wish you had something else. Buy the lugs because they look good to you or buy the tig because you love the welder's mark and want to save a few bucks. You really can't go wrong if you follow your instincts. Just buy one from someone you trust and either way you'll end up with a great bike.

And..... enjoy the process.

Dave
The thing about the Internet is you always have someone spouting off like they know something.

Oh.

Wait a minute...sometimes they do....

https://www.kirkframeworks.com/
Old 01-06-11, 01:58 AM
milliron

Bikes: 1997 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I much prefer my mid level Ridley carbon bike to my lugged steel De Rosa Neo Primato. The Ridley is stiffer, more comfortable on rough roads (less vibration), lighter and less expensive. The De Rosa sits in a closet and I'll not be buying another steel frame.
Old 01-06-11, 02:53 AM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by milliron
I much prefer my mid level Ridley carbon bike to my lugged steel De Rosa Neo Primato. The Ridley is stiffer, more comfortable on rough roads (less vibration), lighter and less expensive. The De Rosa sits in a closet and I'll not be buying another steel frame.
I have owned steel, aluminum and carbon bikes. I prefer carbon. I should point out though, that I have not owned a very high-end steel frame, so I can't really opine on those. I think it has to do with what your goals are when selecting a frame. My typical rides are about 65-70miles on weekends, and they are strictly speedy/exercise kinda of rides. For those, carbon is extremely comfortable and efficient.

I sure like looking at beautiful steel and Ti frames, but I doubt I'll find them efficient for my kinda rides.
Old 01-06-11, 03:42 AM
jermso

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
The thing about the Internet is you always have someone spouting off like they know something.

Oh.

and sometimes others might know better

https://www.strongframes.com/more_stuff/choose/

"Brazing and TIG welding are of equivalent practical value. Meaning both will have the same strength and durability as long as a builder with experience does them correctly. The choice is aesthetic and monetary. Fillet brazed frames are more expensive than TIG because they require more finish work and in the case of lugged frames more prep work. TIG frames take less time to build and are typically a bit less expensive as a result. Lug frames are usually restricted to certain frame types because the lugs are only available in certain socket sizes and angles. TIG and Fillet has infinite flexibly and Ti and aluminum can only be TIG welded. So if the frame you want is aluminum or Ti you can eliminate all the Brazed construction builders, if you want classic lugged steel you can eliminate all the TIG builders."
Old 01-06-11, 07:03 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy

Oh.

Yes, It's nice to hear a solid opinion for a change. I have two lugged frames, properly made of Reynolds 531. I also have a tig-welded frame made with Tange Prestige. The small differences have nothing to do with lugs or not.

The OP should not worry about lugged frames or welded frames. Consider fit, geometry and tube quality when selecting.

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-06-11 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 07:06 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by jermso

"Brazing and TIG welding are of equivalent practical value. Meaning both will have the same strength and durability as long as a builder with experience does them correctly. The choice is aesthetic and monetary. Fillet brazed frames are more expensive than TIG because they require more finish work and in the case of lugged frames more prep work. TIG frames take less time to build and are typically a bit less expensive as a result. Lug frames are usually restricted to certain frame types because the lugs are only available in certain socket sizes and angles. TIG and Fillet has infinite flexibly and Ti and aluminum can only be TIG welded. So if the frame you want is aluminum or Ti you can eliminate all the Brazed construction builders, if you want classic lugged steel you can eliminate all the TIG builders."
Don't be so sure, many builders, including Waterford, build both style frames.
Old 01-06-11, 07:08 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Steel blows.

Next question.
Old 01-06-11, 07:13 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Yes, but does it blow as hard as you?

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-06-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 07:29 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Yes, but does it blow as hard as you?
Hard to say.

I've had 4 steel bikes. One was passable. The others sucked.
Old 01-06-11, 07:34 AM
Trucker Dan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1984 531 trek 720 . Its flexy, buzzy, and generally rides like crap. I never understood all the steel love. Then I picked up a 1990 slx derosa for cheep. The ride was amazing. It was laterally stiff yet vertically compliant. It was better than sex.
Moral of the story: All steel is not created equal and steel bikes need to have italian magic applied to them to be worth a crap.

Last edited by Trucker Dan; 01-06-11 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 07:41 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by patentcad
Hard to say.

I've had 4 steel bikes. One was passable. The others sucked.
But was the issue frame material or something else?

Steel bikes have tremendous merit for many types of cycling. Is it the best material for all kinds of riding, no. Are steel bikes always junk, hardly.

See: https://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/master-x-light

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-06-11 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 08:27 AM
Dave Kirk 

Bikes: Kirk

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jermso

I don't disagree with what Carl says in the slightest............. in fact it appears we are saying the same thing.

Dave
Old 01-06-11, 08:27 AM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trucker Dan
I have a 1984 531 trek 720 . Its flexy, buzzy, and generally rides like crap. I never understood all the steel love. Then I picked up a 1990 slx derosa for cheep. The ride was amazing. It was laterally stiff yet vertically compliant. It was better than sex.
Moral of the story: All steel is not created equal and steel bikes need to have italian magic applied to them to be worth a crap.
Pegoretti, he have the magic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.