Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old Fuji

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 03:31 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Old Fuji

I posted this over in the road cycling forum. I hope I'm not violating any protocol by posting it here as well.

I thought maybe some of us "more mature" folks might know more about this bike I saw on craigslist today.

I'd appreciate any info or comments about the particular model and what to look for when I go to see it tomorrow. Thanks...
Old 08-30-11, 03:39 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like a good bike. The folks in C&V are the experts on these things. Road Cycling, not as much.
Is it the correct size for you?
I'm no expert but I'd say just look for dents, cracks at the welds, rust, etc. Look for wear on the cogs and chainrings, etc. Give it a good ride to check the shifting, brakes, handling, comfort, grinding/noise in BB area, etc.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 08-30-11 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 03:48 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Looks like a good bike. The folks in C&V are the experts on these things. Road Cycling, not as much.
Is it the correct size for you?
I'm no expert but I'd say just look for dents, cracks at the welds, rust, etc. Look for wear on the cogs and chainrings, etc. Give it a good ride to check the shifting, brakes, handling, comfort, grinding/noise in BB area, etc.
Thx. I'll try it over at C&V. I already have in the road cycling. Apologies to all if I'm cluttering up the forum.

And yes, I believe it will fit me.
Old 08-30-11, 04:01 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to check this web site which has lots of Fuji information: https://www.classicfuji.com/index.html
Old 08-30-11, 04:36 PM
Louis

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
You might want to check this web site which has lots of Fuji information: https://www.classicfuji.com/index.html
Thanks for that link NOS88, I've already relayed it to help a poster on the touring forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...8#post13155558
Old 08-30-11, 06:12 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Suicide brake levers and stem shifters point to a lower end bike. Also, it looks like it might have chromed steel rims which are heavy and don't brake well especially when wet compared to alloy rims.
Old 08-30-11, 06:20 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Decent bike by the looks of it. See if they will budge on that price, though. It's no Ace or Finest.
Old 08-30-11, 06:40 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This is what came back on the C&V forum, and my response that followed:

Originally Posted by wrk101
Not grand, not a touring bike either. But priced at about its value, and it appears to be in really good condition. You can look up the information at the vintage Fuji site, they have all of the catalogs and specs. Can't really tell much from the picture, somewhere in the 1977 to 1979 time frame (only differences in those years was the color anyway).

Steel rims, high ten steel frame, stem shifters, claw rear derailleur hanger, steel handlebars, steel seat post, nutted rear axle, 30 pound bike. As you get in this price range, you either have to get lucky and scoop something fast, or you usually will get something pretty basic. Better bikes from that era start at about $200.
Originally Posted by on the path
Wow...ok. I really do appreciate the info. That's a lot more than I could glean from:

https://www.classicfuji.com/

So I guess the bike in question would be more of a collectable/novelty than a daily driver. And even if as such, Sheldon Brown says about Fuji, "Not a whole lot collectible here."

I was hoping closer to 25lbs than 30. I suppose one could switch out the bars, seat post, etc for something lighter, but that's the path to making the bike into something that it isn't, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks again
Old 08-30-11, 06:43 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
....stem shifters point to a lower end bike.....
What would have been higher end? Bar-end shifters?
Old 08-30-11, 06:50 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
No, better bikes from that time would have downtube shifters. That bike is a $15 -$20 bike.
Old 08-30-11, 07:06 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I was just helping a friend of mine with a 1976 Gran Tourer - broken rear derailleur. Heavy bike, better than department-store bikes, but not all that much... Front derailleur shifts "backward", lever up = big ring. Not much to get excited about, lack of rear QR will make on-the-road repairs difficult.
Old 08-30-11, 07:08 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
No, better bikes from that time would have downtube shifters. That bike is a $15 -$20 bike.
Riiight. Actually I think he'll sell it for that price, but won't sell it without the owner's manual, which is an additional $100....
Old 08-30-11, 07:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 348 Times in 227 Posts
won't sell it without the owner's manual, which is an additional $100....
That's incredible.
Old 08-30-11, 07:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
What would have been higher end? Bar-end shifters?
On a real touring bike? Sure. On anything else, down tube shifters.

That bike should sell for between $100 and $125 (its asking price). Market value of better vintage bikes here start at about $200. Sure, I have bought them for less, but I moved fast, and bought at a below market price.
Old 08-31-11, 07:31 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I love old Fuji bikes. If it were for sale here I would definitely be interested. From the looks of it the price is fair.
Old 08-31-11, 03:11 PM
YokeyDokey
DisMember

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Roubaix, 1984 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
Where? Seriously - where would a fella look for serviceable $15 non-Huffys? Come on, I want to hear this. :-p
Old 08-31-11, 05:10 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe I'm saying that is what it would be worth to me. But really, it's not really a great bike, heavy tubing, poor components, marginal wheels. and probably not more than $300 new. In fact, I take back my offer, I wouldn't take it for $0.
Old 08-31-11, 06:02 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I think the bike is pretty. But...I'm not a collector. If I buy a geared bike I want to be able to enjoy riding it at least as much as I do my mid-level SS. I guess that would mean something with 700mm wheels that can handle higher pressure tires, and isn't overly heavy.

Based on the info I got here, injected into my thought process, I decided to pass on the Fuji.
Old 08-31-11, 06:12 PM
CACycling

27" wheels aren't necessarily a bad thing. There are plenty of 27" tires out there with max pressure ratings above 100 psi. The usual things to look for on vintage bikes are chrome fork tips and rear DOs; down tube shifters (or bar ends on touring bikes); absence of suicide levers; and alloy rims. Find all these on a bike that fits and give it a try.
Old 08-31-11, 08:52 PM
on the path
Seņor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
27" wheels aren't necessarily a bad thing. There are plenty of 27" tires out there with max pressure ratings above 100 psi.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the issue is more of the wheels not being able to handle the higher pressure tires(?). The tires may handle the pressure but only on wheels that can handle the tires and the pressure...
Old 09-01-11, 06:22 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
You know, the interesting thing is for someone out there a bike like this would be a dream come true. It would be transportation, or perhaps their first bike, or even a step up from what they may have now. We (yes, self included) can be such elitists at times. It may not be the right match for the OP, but it could be a prayer answered for someone else.
Old 09-01-11, 05:39 PM
CACycling

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the issue is more of the wheels not being able to handle the higher pressure tires(?). The tires may handle the pressure but only on wheels that can handle the tires and the pressure...
That's why alloy rims were on my list of things to look for. The old steel rims were, for the most part, hookless and would not hold a tire at higher pressure (as well as not stopping well, especially when wet). AFAIK, alloys have all been hooked for a long, long time (my son's '81 Centurion, which is not a high end bike by any means, has hooked rims and holds high pressure tires just fine) so should not have a problem at higher pressures.