Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lotus Eclair info?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lotus Eclair info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 01:00 PM
FTW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lotus Eclair info?

Hey guys and gals, I've got a few questions. I have a Lotus Eclair, it was a complete bike but it needs some work. I don't have pictures right now, but I will get some and post them tonight. Since I don't have pictures I can at least describe it to see if that helps.

The frame colors are maroon and black, with some gold highlights. The paint is pretty rough but the overall condition of the frame seems to be ok. The wheels and hubs have seen better days, but the rest of the componenets (mostly Deore if I remember correctly) seem to be in good form and function.

The main question is on the build quality and component capability. I've done some reading about them and heard some of the components can be proprietary.

Anyways, I know the paint has to go, but I was also toying with the idea of a 650B conversion too. So who knows what will happen. Any info would be great, and I'll get some picture up tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-11, 01:03 PM
-holiday76
No one cares

Liked 112 Times in 69 Posts
does it have canti studs? Mine does. It came with 27" wheels originally. You can use 700's though. 650b would require drum brakes or moving the studs, which, if you're going to paint it anyway might be an option. Here's mine.

it came with front and rear racks, meant for fully loaded touring.

Old 09-21-11, 01:17 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Mmm. Cream filled C&V. Delicious.
Old 09-21-11, 01:23 PM
FTW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
holiday76 - Yes it does have canti studs and it is a 27" wheeled bicycle as well. Mine too came with full front and rear racks. I've spoke with a local frame builder here (very short conversation) moving the canti studs is something he is willing to do. I have to pull all the measurements to see if they will even fit first though. Your Lotus is a very nice looking bicycle by the way.
Old 09-21-11, 01:42 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There's an Eclair frameset at a local co-op here. It's a very nice looking frameset. OP, I'd say it would be worth your time and effort to do what's necessary to make it functional for you. Very attractive bike...yours too Holiday!
Old 09-21-11, 03:33 PM
r0ckh0und 

Liked 223 Times in 105 Posts
I picked one of these up this past spring and it has a few issues. Stem and seatpost are stuck. It is also equipped with Deore touring cranks and pedals........pedals have a 1" spindle and the cranks are tapped likewise. If you intend to swap out the pedals you may have to swap out the crankset as well if yours is the same. These cranks and pedals can fetch a good price on ebay.

Old 09-21-11, 03:53 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If it's burgundy and black then it probably looks like this :

Burgundy didn't become available on the Eclair (AY-Klair) until 1984. Production of the Eclair stopped for a bit around 1985-86 and resumed again for 1987.

My advice is almost always the same . . . keep it original as possible. I think it's the original bikes that generate the most interest. Half of the questions on the site are "what was original?" Because people are restoring these bikes to original after 20 or 30 years. If it's not a collectors item now, it most likely will be in the near future.

If you absolutely positively can't save the paint, stick with the stock color. I'm working on decal art for reproductions, so I may be able to help you out eventually with that.

The Eclair is a great bike and popular too, especiallly with the racks and multitude of braze ons.
Old 09-21-11, 04:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
I've got a burgundy Eclaire just like above, all Deore components, but not in as good of shape. It is in the to be rehabbed someday pile.
Old 09-21-11, 09:04 PM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I've got a burgundy Eclaire just like above, all Deore components, but not in as good of shape. It is in the to be rehabbed someday pile.
If you weren't building porch steps heavy duty enough to surive the apocalypse you might have time to restore that Lotus.
Old 09-23-11, 01:29 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Snydermann, I'd swear that's my old bike I donated to Pedals for Progress! Mine had the front pannier rack, though. It was a great touring bike, now it's probably a general store or work truck in Uganda.
Old 09-23-11, 01:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Snydermann
If you weren't building porch steps heavy duty enough to surive the apocalypse you might have time to restore that Lotus.

You are just about correct. On the vintage rock porch steps, I'm on the third set. The first was the rock house (the one in my Avatar). Those steps were crumbling. The second was the front steps on the duplex three houses down the street (also 1934 vintage), and the third was the rear steps on the duplex. All done now!

Next I need to get back to wiring the duplex (no heat right now, no lights in several rooms, etc....). Then plaster repair, then some critical plumbing repair, then repair every single window sill, where the former owner cut the ends of each sill off to install aluminum siding (I've already removed the cheesy siding), then paint the outside of the place (but by then, it will probably be too late in the year, so thats a spring 2012 project. I figure the duplex is a three year project, at least. This is year one.

Bikes are taking a back seat right now. And I have about 15 bike projects AHEAD of that Lotus....
Old 07-29-20, 07:44 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 114 Times in 66 Posts
Got a deal on an Eclair

I just saved what after some cleaning is a white and blue one with the block letters.
It was dirty, scratched up like a kid rode it and dumped it in the sand and dirt a lot. lots of rust and a mismatch of parts.
I think it was stored tied to a tree on the seashore.
I spent a couple of hours and a bottle of liquid wrench on it over the last couple days taking apart to check it out, and so far the frame seems good. I only broke the heads off of two bolts while taking the rear (not original) rack off so that’s good right? All the hardware is a mix of cheap hardware store rust balls every one a different size/head.
speaking of racks, if anyone has original front and rear racks and this gets back up on rubber I would be interested in them.
also, re the crazy pedals, I’ve pulled the cranks and hope to take them apart and replace the bearings because they don’t really spin.
Need some PB blaster and a gallon of liquid wrench before I take that on.
Old 11-10-20, 08:42 PM
Night Treker

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
i see one on CL with 600 arabesque shifters but not with canti's
asking $300
Old 11-10-20, 08:46 PM
Night Treker

Bikes: Trek 1200 Specialized HardRock Hybrid GT Tempest MTB

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
https://lansing.craigslist.org/bik/d/onondaga-1982-vintage-lotus-touring-bike/7205071

dont know if that groupset is worth anything