Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Size: I know, I should know better

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 01:26 PM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am embarrassed to ask, but what is the typical chain size for a MTB? I know that most chains come with 108 or 116 links, but what about width. I'm trying to buy a chain online, and I'm getting confused. This is for a 1995ish Univega. Thanks guys.
Old 06-12-12, 01:39 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The chain width needs to match the number of cogs (gears) in the back, 9-speed, 10-speed, etc. The chain length needs to be cut to the correct length for your particular frame and drive train. If you have any doubt how to do this you should take the bike to a bike shop and let them sell you the chain and install it properly.
Old 06-12-12, 01:46 PM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand that this is best left up to a LBS, but I do not like any around my area and do not feel like the LBSs in my area are friendly or fair. Also-- I got this bike with the intention of teaching myself.

Originally Posted by Al1943
The chain width needs to match the number of cogs (gears) in the back, 9-speed, 10-speed, etc. The chain length needs to be cut to the correct length for your particular frame and drive train. If you have any doubt how to do this you should take the bike to a bike shop and let them sell you the chain and install it properly.
Old 06-12-12, 01:49 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Count the number of gears in back: six, seven, eight or whatever; and get chain that matches that count. The lower the count, the lower the cost of the chain. Will need a chain tool as well. Sheldon Brown site has good info on chain length.

Good chain tools are not cheap, but can last a really long time. So get a good one. Tools rarely pay for themselves on the first job.
Old 06-12-12, 01:50 PM
PJCB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Originally Posted by wrk101
Count the number of gears in back: six, seven, eight or whatever; and get chain that matches that count. The lower the count, the lower the cost of the chain. Will need a chain tool as well. Sheldon Brown site has good info on chain length.
Old 06-12-12, 01:59 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by PJCB
I understand that this is best left up to a LBS, but I do not like any around my area and do not feel like the LBSs in my area are friendly or fair. Also-- I got this bike with the intention of teaching myself.
Gosh no, it's not's anything any normal person can't handle even with zero experience. Order the chain according to how many gears you have on the back wheel. Get a chain tool to take links off, it's a little clamp thing that costs 3 or 4 dollars. Make it the same length as the one you have, or search the web on how to determine the right length for your gears. Instructions come with the chain on how to connect it together. It's very simple.
Old 06-12-12, 02:01 PM
PJCB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I'm not too inexperienced, just self-taught and catching on.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Gosh no, it's not's anything any normal person can't handle even with zero experience. Order the chain according to how many gears you have on the back wheel. Get a chain tool to take links off, it's a little clamp thing that costs 3 or 4 dollars. Make it the same length as the one you have, or search the web on how to determine the right length for your gears. Instructions come with the chain on how to connect it together. It's very simple.
Old 06-12-12, 02:06 PM
PJCB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if my road bike has 2 gears in the front and 5 in the back, its a ten speed, right? Then my Univega has 3 gears in the front and eight in the back, that makes it an 18 speed bike. Do I look for a 5 speed chain for the road bike and an 8 speed chain for the Univega?
Old 06-12-12, 02:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
yep. If the chains are unusually worn out don't be surprised if you need to change the rear sprockets also before long. An old chain can wear those gears down, in which case the new chain may skip or slip on the cogs. But cross that bridge when you come to it.
Old 06-12-12, 02:13 PM
PJCB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
yep. If the chains are unusually worn out don't be surprised if you need to change the rear sprockets also before long. An old chain can wear those gears down, in which case the new chain may skip or slip on the cogs. But cross that bridge when you come to it.

+1 You are a smart man. Thank you!
Old 06-12-12, 02:23 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by PJCB
So if my road bike has 2 gears in the front and 5 in the back, its a ten speed, right? Then my Univega has 3 gears in the front and eight in the back, that makes it an 18 speed bike. Do I look for a 5 speed chain for the road bike and an 8 speed chain for the Univega?
Half right (the important half). Five speeds in the rear is referred to as five speed, even though it might have as many as 15 total speeds (3 rings in front). Chain just cares about the rear speeds. Typically, you will find 5/6 speed chain. 7 speed, 8 speed, 9 speed, etc. The 5/6 and 7 speed chains are pretty cheap, it goes up from there. I typically use KMC Z30/Z33 for 5/6 speed, costs about $4.50 on line. I use KMC Z50 for 7 speed, costs about $5.50. These prices do not include shipping, so unless you are buying a lot of stuff, the shipping gets you. Jensen offers free shipping with a $50 order, and they price match to anyone else. So I usually order there anymore.
Old 06-12-12, 02:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Liked 1,360 Times in 866 Posts
It's a cog count.. 5,6,7,8 use a chain common to all , and packaged as such,

9, and 10 on the rear cassette, each have their designated chain..
more 'speeds', cost more bucks ..

got a proper chain tool to shorten an over long one..?
Old 06-12-12, 03:14 PM
Glottis

Bikes: Giant CRS 2 (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's very easy to shorten the chain with the right tool, which doesn't have to be expensive if you just want to maintain your own bike. I bought a ~$5 chain tool and have used it about 10 times with no issues.

Here are three methods to achieve adequate chain length:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...-length-sizing

I use the Simple Equation described on that page, for what it's worth.
Old 06-12-12, 04:18 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Liked 1,095 Times in 725 Posts
I'd suggest that you get a chain which has a reuseable "master link" for ease in installation and removal of your chain. Master links are available separately as well. You will still need a chain tool to trim the chain to length initially. Here is a link to an article on how to size your chain: https://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain