Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dave Scott Expert Vs. Master

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 08:59 PM
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the difference in models? Is one more desirable then the other? Around 1986.

Thank you
Steve
Old 01-08-13, 09:07 PM
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am finding that the frames are the same. The expert had a 105 groupo. The Master had a 600 groupo.

Steve
Old 01-09-13, 04:30 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
You are correct.

There's a thread here somewhere with the chronology '85 through '89, but I'll recap quickly, then go eat breakfast:

1985-the Ironman model was offered, a derivative/rebadged version of the 1983/4 Comp TA, but with a Tange 1 frame instead of Tange 2. Component group was 600 EX with Araya rims, Nitto steering, Turbo saddle. Centurion was after the expanding triathlon crowd that wanted to train and compete on the same bike. 2 color choices: dark grey/grey and dark red/grey. Graphics consistent with 1983-1985 models. 2nd in the lineup as far as racing, below the Prestige (Tange Prestige with 2x6 DA)

1986-little change in the components, still a "standard" Ironman. Wheel change to bronze Araya A20's, many came with DC aero levers in lieu of the 600 EX levers. Colors added: red/white two-tone. Font/graphics changed to a more modern look. With the Prestige dropped, moved to the top of the line, but the nearly identically-equipped Elite RS (Tange 2) gave it a serious run.

1987-split into two models, the Expert and the Master. The Expert continued the red/white and added the iconic "Miami Vice" paint scheme of fuscia/goldenrod. A wheel change to Wolber Super Champion Alpine for all models, and the introduction of the "new" 105 2x6 indexed group. The Master continued with the last offering of the 2x6 600 EX, in two new colors, yellow/white and seafoam/white. There may have been other colors, it's hard to keep up. Last year of the sloped crown fork, slight changes in graphics. Some feel the geometry changed a bit from '86. I don't know.

1988-continuation of the Expert and Master models. Introduction of the uni-crown fork. Both models bumped to 7-sp, with the Expert remaining with 105 and the Master model bringing out the 600/Ultegra groupset, a.k.a. "tricolor." Master models went to the purple smoked "fade" scheme. Expert models went to a "straight" fade in several colors. Wheel change, again, to Araya CTL's on the 105 or 600/Ultegra hubs.

1989-swan song. The Expert went to a solid black or a blue smoked fade, and dropped the 105 group. Instead, the Expert went to Suntour GPX, similar in appearance to the dark grey 600/Ultegra, and included painted hubs and crankset, and Suntour BB/headset, with GPX pedals offered, by now, as an addition, in some cases. The GPX was 2x7 indexed and required matching the freewheel and shifters, not compatible with Shimano's spacing. The Master continued the 600/Ultegra, changing colors to a grey marbled fade and a solid red. The wheels were now designated Araya CTL-370's, purportedly for the rim weight in grams. There was a small geometry change for 1989.

Often, the first thing an owner did was change tires. The Panaracer Technova tires were narrow, and hard. By 1989, the Technova II was labeled as 700x19 in the graphics, and the raised lettering denoted 700x18. They were almost universally hated.

That's it. 5 years of models. Iconic, a good all-around racer at a time when triathlons were booming. Bike shops sold a ton of clip-on aero bars for for these bikes, as triathlons rapidly expanded. Almost anyone riding during those years knows someone who had an Ironman. An excellent value then, and an excellent value now. There are still tons of them out there. I'm biased in favor of the bike.
Old 01-09-13, 04:54 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
RobbieTunes ==> Master Expert
Old 01-09-13, 05:55 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 913 Posts
Footnote: serial numbers often denote a year earlier. Many were shipped in the fall for the Christmas season, with the next year's designation.
Old 01-09-13, 06:25 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,228 Posts
...and if you want one, ask here in the WTB section.

Lots of them sprinkled around the fourm, several of us have , uh, multiples of various years, or frames that would make a good project bike. And you'll have a good description of the condition and provenance. Just sayin'.
Old 01-09-13, 08:06 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 638 Posts
Get a 1988 or newer Master (see Robbie's recap) to get the nice Tricolor components. Worth the extra time searching IMHO. Now if a great deal on a pre-1988 showed up, then why not? Ride it for a while, and when you move on, you will be able to get all of your $$ back. Kind of like free rent on a bike.

With an Ironman, really its a can't lose proposition if the frame is good. They are enjoying a nice bump in the market, and continue to appreciate.
Old 01-09-13, 08:58 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Get a 1988 or newer Master (see Robbie's recap) to get the nice Tricolor components. Worth the extra time searching IMHO. Now if a great deal on a pre-1988 showed up, then why not? Ride it for a while, and when you move on, you will be able to get all of your $$ back. Kind of like free rent on a bike.

With an Ironman, really its a can't lose proposition if the frame is good. They are enjoying a nice bump in the market, and continue to appreciate.
Meh, '87 or earlier as Sloping Crown>later Unicrown * 100.
I also liked the geometry better on my '86 than the '88 & '89 I owned. More Eye-talian. The geometry definitely changed when they went to unicrown. On my '86, the TT was shorter than the ST. Not so on the later models.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 01-09-13, 09:52 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
i'd like to try out one of the older ironman frames as my 89 is a bit harsh at times, especially when you're used to more relaxed geometry
Old 01-09-13, 10:44 AM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an '87 (according to the SN#) with the unicrown fork and I effing love the hell out of it. Unicrown doesn't look as cool as sloping, but it rides just fine.
Old 01-09-13, 05:17 PM
AlphaRed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everybody. Thank you Robbie T. It is always an adventure. It keeps the hobby fun.

Steve