Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage tandem help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 11:08 AM
Adamackroyd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage tandem help!!!

We have a vintage looking tandem that we are having problems identifying
Dating and pricing we hope to sell it but would like its value
Any help with these would be appreciated
It ihas wearwell g'jarenteed made in England sticker
And the wearwell badge
It has 18742 stamped on the frame
It also has a back frame and original atchel with tools in
2 Lycett saddles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (73.9 KB, 42 views)
image.jpg (91.3 KB, 40 views)
image.jpg (92.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-12-13, 12:31 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
I'm only of marginal help, but I have seen pricing on two 70's tandems recently. One a Claud Butler, one a Holdsworth (although they looked like they could have been built by the same person). They actually look to my eye a step up from yours. One's asking price was $150, the other $200. I know the $200 one sold, but I don't know if at full asking price.

And when you do sell, the rear bag, if included, won't add a $ to the final value. Try to sell it separately.
Old 02-14-13, 09:20 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your photos need to be close-ups in good lighting of the headbadge, top tube, chainwheels, rear hub, anything that can help us identify it.
Old 02-14-13, 09:44 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 650 Posts
The thing is Tandems are completely gone socially no modern girl wants to ride backseat. So these bikes are only good as collectors items vintage riders. As such they need to be in great collectialbe mostly original good riding condition to have much value. Yours is not so only $150-200 to a select collector.
Old 02-14-13, 10:08 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
I disagree with some of the general comments about tandems above; I see them being ridden more often now by "modern" girls and there are plenty of people who want them. It's a weird and more erratic market than conventional bikes - there is less demand, but less supply. They can sell for good prices in my area (the $200 estimations for a quality tandem are far off base on value), but it can take more time to find a buyer. They are more affected by location because they're harder to ship and move. I've seen junk Murray and Schwinn twins sell for 200-300. I've bought high end bikes inexpensively, but that doesn't mean that's all they were worth.

I can't give you a value on yours because I can't see it and I'm not sure what your area is like. They can sit for a while, but buyers are there if you're patient.
Old 02-14-13, 10:50 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We need better pictures to be able to identify.

It doesn't look particularly high end, but like Aaron said, any tandem is worth decent money. If it is relatively clean, rust free and ready to ride, I would say its worth at an absolute minimum $150.

I paid a lot more than that for my vintage tandem and I thought I got a smoking deal... (though it was dripping in Phil Wood parts). The tandem market is erratic so it's not really possible to put an accurate value on it even if we know precisely what make, model and year it is.

Originally Posted by zukahn1
The thing is Tandems are completely gone socially no modern girl wants to ride backseat. So these bikes are only good as collectors items vintage riders. As such they need to be in great collectialbe mostly original good riding condition to have much value. Yours is not so only $150-200 to a select collector.
I guess my fiance is old fashioned then...actually she kind of is (she is FAR from a feminist), but I see lots of women on the back of tandems. They look normal to me, but they might be wearing aprons under their cycling kits that I just don't see...and aching to get home to put dinner on the table, light their hubby's cigar, take his shoes off after he sits in his recliner and hand him a martini...
Old 02-14-13, 10:58 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Tandem pricing is all over the map. Location, original state, mechanical condition, cosmetic condition, builder's reputation, size, and quality of fit and finish affect value. I personally have purchased tandems, both nearly new and classic, at extraordinarily low prices. I also see a lot of overpriced low end bikes as well. While a lot of tandem purchases are impulse buys, from looking at your low quality photos, it appears to be a project, which is a very small niche.
Old 02-15-13, 05:56 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
We need better pictures to be able to identify.

It doesn't look particularly high end, but like Aaron said, any tandem is worth decent money. If it is relatively clean, rust free and ready to ride, I would say its worth at an absolute minimum $150.

I paid a lot more than that for my vintage tandem and I thought I got a smoking deal... (though it was dripping in Phil Wood parts). The tandem market is erratic so it's not really possible to put an accurate value on it even if we know precisely what make, model and year it is.

I guess my fiance is old fashioned then...actually she kind of is (she is FAR from a feminist), but I see lots of women on the back of tandems. They look normal to me, but they might be wearing aprons under their cycling kits that I just don't see...and aching to get home to put dinner on the table, light their hubby's cigar, take his shoes off after he sits in his recliner and hand him a martini...
One big recent trend pushing value is weddings...going down the aisle on a tandem is a thing locally (not sure if it's popular elsewhere) and I've gotten a lot of requests to rent/borrow mine. My wife is a pretty level headed woman...and she LOVES the tandem. Yours is KILLER (yes, I'm jealous).
Old 02-15-13, 06:20 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
One big recent trend pushing value is weddings...going down the aisle on a tandem is a thing locally (not sure if it's popular elsewhere) and I've gotten a lot of requests to rent/borrow mine. My wife is a pretty level headed woman...and she LOVES the tandem. Yours is KILLER (yes, I'm jealous).
I was cash poor when my neighbor's son was getting married. So I found on CL a deeply discounted brand new Mongoose tandem, as a wedding gift for the new couple. It was discounted because of a bent rear rim, which I replaced. Of course, the couple in their wedding finery took it for a spin! They still enjoy it!
Old 02-15-13, 07:39 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 995 Times in 642 Posts
Most of any price you get depends on your marketing skills and presentation. I would work on getting a lot better pics first.

If you use the pics above, $100.

Most buyers have no imagination. The ones with imagination, are looking to scoop up deals, re-market them well, and make some $$ for their efforts.