Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

'One Less Car' Bike Sticker

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 11:44 PM
Wowk

Bikes: Giant CRX 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Walking through the city today I saw a stereotypical 'hippie' woman sporting one of these stickers on her bike, I have seen the stickers plenty of times, but it got me thinking today.

By sporting such stickers is it akin to saying 'I think I am better than you because I don't own a car and what I do is more environmentally responsible'?. I am not saying this is not necessarily untrue, just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Do you think that by broadcasting such sentiments that cyclists are exacerbating even more of a divide between car drivers and cyclists, if not the general non-riding public? I can imagine a driver going past someone on a bike with a 'One Less Car' sticker and thinking only negative thoughts about that cyclist, I personally don't think it will make a driver reconsider their decision to drive a car. Do you think that such stickers just make people dislike cyclists more?

For context, I have just given up my car and my bike is really my only form of transport at the moment. I am working towards leading a more minimalist, de-cluttered and simplified existence.
Old 11-08-13, 01:34 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds like a statement of fact.

But then again, any kind of sticker with any message is pretty much saying "Here's what I think is best."

You can't generalize to imagine what people reactions will be. Some drivers might see it and wish they could start riding their bike. Some might feel challenged by a statement like that on a bicycle. Others may not even notice the sticker and get incensed that a bicyclist has the nerve to be on "their" road. A hundred motorists passing the same bike and one hundred different reactions.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-08-13, 10:26 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can have one of those stickers and a car. It's stating that there's one less car on the road right now, because I'm riding a bike - therefore easing traffic congestion.

Note: I don't actually own one of those stickers.
Old 11-08-13, 10:48 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Those stickers are beyond embarrassing, in this day and age. (Full disclosure: as I type this, I'm wearing an old "cars-r-coffins" t-shirt, with the "666" license plate on the wheeled coffin, so I'm no stranger to outmoded, embarrassing "fashion".) Like I mentioned in a recent post, I once saw a car with a "two less rollerskates" sticker, but that had to be 5 years ago. I seem to recall other goofy spoofs online BITD, such as "one less helicopter".

Recumbent guys need to put "one less diamond-frame" stickers on the back of their seats, too.

My point is, this sticker is ages-old. I don't think it's likely to offend any drivers who aren't already offended, b/c they've most likely already seen these stickers. Sure, a driver who is already all bunched up about bikes is probably going to have a momentary increase in his/her anti-cyclist ire, but I can't imagine a motorist with a neutral or positive view regarding cyclists changing his/her opinion based on some hippie's goofball sticker.

I've got to make a "1 less toboggan" sticker, to be marketed towards fatbike enthusiasts....
Old 11-08-13, 11:23 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No way, don't antagonize, I once saw a fixie rider with a Bianchi (slick bike) that had these types of stickers plastered all over it (and he was riding in the door zone without a helmet) I think one even said "F your car".....
Old 11-08-13, 11:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,600 Times in 1,080 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
No way, don't antagonize, I once saw a fixie rider with a Bianchi (slick bike) that had these types of stickers plastered all over it (and he was riding in the door zone without a helmet) I think one even said "F your car".....
Nothing worse than antagonizing both motorists and a bicycling safety nanny at the same time.
Old 11-08-13, 01:36 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Nothing worse than someone setting a bad example :/

M.
Old 11-08-13, 05:32 PM
B. Carfree

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I always liked the bumper sticker that was on a car owned by a bicycle shop owner is Sacramento. It said, "If I had ridden my bike to work today, you could have parked here." He always parked on the street when he drove in.

Back on topic, I don't think stickers really antagonize anyone. First of all, who even reads the stickers on a bike? Also, even motorists dislike roads clogged with other motorists, so a "one less car" sticker is unlikely to stick in their craw. Besides, I suspect most motorists correctly assume that most folks on bikes are also motorists, at least some of the time.
Old 11-08-13, 07:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I always liked the bumper sticker that was on a car owned by a bicycle shop owner is Sacramento. It said, "If I had ridden my bike to work today, you could have parked here." He always parked on the street when he drove in.

Back on topic, I don't think stickers really antagonize anyone. First of all, who even reads the stickers on a bike? Also, even motorists dislike roads clogged with other motorists, so a "one less car" sticker is unlikely to stick in their craw. Besides, I suspect most motorists correctly assume that most folks on bikes are also motorists, at least some of the time.
Exactly. Motorists are speeding by so fast they can't read a sticker on a top tube.

The sticker itself does expresses the pride with which the rider views cycling.

I'm all for it.
Old 11-08-13, 09:07 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think the motorist on the road who is speeding by the cyclist with a bike festooned with stickers is, indeed, unlikely to notice any pro-bike or anti-car sentiments amongst those stickers.

However, the motorist who is dropping a quarter into the meter where a bestickered bike is locked may very well notice the pro bike and/or anti-car slogans, and s/he may very well form an opinion of those stickers and your bike, as well as theories about its rider, based on a combination of previously held views on cycling and a specific reaction to those stickers. Or, they may not even care. Either way, no big deal in the big picture.

OTOH, if your bike has a "one less car" sticker on it, everyone under the age of 52 will think you're a berk, unless you're trying to create a retro build for some kind of turn-of-the-century bike. If you're building a late-90s Bianchi Pista with era-accurate upgrades and stickers, then you might actually want a "one less car" sticker.

I'm considering getting a "one less car" sticker for my pickup truck. Technically, it's appropriate.
Old 11-08-13, 09:55 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
You can have one of those stickers and a car. It's stating that there's one less car on the road right now, because I'm riding a bike - therefore easing traffic congestion.

Note: I don't actually own one of those stickers.
+1
Old 11-09-13, 01:43 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The better sticker, in my view, that I've seen lately is the one-metre/three foot one. There is an important message there, and in places where there is a legal requirement to pass a bike with that distance, and if the sticker says "it's the law", so much the better.

The One Less Car one is a message that we as cyclists understand, but I suspect for a vast majority of non-cyclists, it really doesn't mean much. And for those who do understand, yes, they delight in the fact that you aren't driving and they can get to work quicker.
Old 11-09-13, 02:13 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Wowk
casting such sentiments that cyclists are exacerbating even more of a divide between car drivers and cyclists, if not the general non-riding public? I can imagine a driver going past someone on a bike with a 'One Less Car' sticker and thinking only negative thoughts about that cyclist, I personally don't think it will make a driver reconsider their decision to drive a car. Do you think that such stickers just make people dislike cyclists more?
That doesn't make sense, though. If anything, the motorist should thank the cyclist for putting out one fewer car on the street, which translates into a little less congestion. Good for the drivers, isn't it?

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-09-13, 02:28 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I sold my car and am getting around by bike and bus. But it's still around on this planet somewhere, so its not one less car.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 11-09-13 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 02:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
I sold my car and am getting around by bike and bus. But it's still around on this planet, so its not one less car.

Absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out. It's not like we're waving a magic wand and removing a car from existence.
Old 11-09-13, 02:42 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Machka
Absolutely right. Thank you for pointing that out. It's not like we're waving a magic wand and removing a car from existence.
I'm pretty sure many of you carfree folks have owned a car at one point, though. "One fewer car" applies to them.

[EDIT] Nevermind, I read Artkansas' post incorrectly.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 11-09-13, 02:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by daihard
I'm pretty sure many of you carfree folks have owned a car at one point, though. "One fewer car" applies to them.
No ... that's just it. If we owned a car, and now we don't, it isn't "one fewer car". That car still exists ... someone else owns it now. Same number of cars out there.
Old 11-09-13, 02:57 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

No ... that's just it. If we owned a car, and now we don't, it isn't "one fewer car". That car still exists ... someone else owns it now. Same number of cars out there.
Yeah, that's why I edited my reply as above. It's time I went to bed...

That said, if fewer and fewer people own cars, the number of cars on the planet will eventually decrease.

Old 11-09-13, 03:57 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
thats absurd...

The last car I owned was scrapped years ago. (It still exists in the metaphysical sense, but that's all.) All the cars I could have owned since that last one were never even built. So it isn't one less car, it's several less cars.

That last car of mine was never materially replaced, in other words. Once it died, it stayed dead.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-09-13, 04:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
thats absurd...

The last car I owned was scrapped years ago. (It still exists in the metaphysical sense, but that's all.) All the cars I could have owned since that last one were never even built. So it isn't one less car, it's several less cars.

That last car of mine was never materially replaced, in other words. Once it died, it stayed dead.

That might be your story ... but lots of people sell their cars.

In my ex-husband and my case, he wrote off our van which was the trigger for me to become "car-free" ... but we could have bought the van back and fixed it, instead it would have gone up for auction or something. And then a few months later, my ex-husband bought another car. Knowing him ... probably several.

Last edited by Machka; 11-09-13 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 04:38 AM
Rowan

Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Sorry, Roody, but look at the registration figures countrywide, and tell us how it is one car or even several cars less. I am not talking about car sales, but total registrations (and, of course, there are the unregistered ones out there, too).

Have a look at this trend in Australia, for example;

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/9309.0

I can't imagine the American figures being much different in comparative terms.
Old 11-09-13, 06:25 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So, following the logic from these last few posts, we should wear patches or pins on our lapels that read "one less driver", but the "one less car" doesn't belong on the bike, even in cases where the bike has replaced the next theoretical car that the user would've bought, had s/he not decided to bike instead?

I'm sorry, this discussion is downright goofy at this point. If you ride instead of driving, the bike is representing "one less car" that could've been wherever the bike is rolling or parked. Even though my gut reaction to that is "no big deal", we still oughta give credit where credit's due.

Last edited by surreal; 11-09-13 at 06:29 AM. Reason: "t" in "this"
Old 11-09-13, 06:28 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
thats absurd...

+1. Even if the total number of cars in existence continues to grow rapidly, there'd be at least one more car out there if Roody had replaced his with a new one, or even contributed to demand by purchasing a used one. The sticker says "one less car" which, for Roody or a person in a similiar situation, is true. The sticker does not say "one fewer car, overall, worldwide." The statement is more about the user's lifestyle choices, than the overall trend.
Old 11-09-13, 06:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by surreal
So, following the logic from these last few posts, we should wear patches or pins on our lapels that read "one less driver", but the "one less car" doesn't belong on the bike, even in cases where the bike has replaced the next theoretical car that the user would've bought, had s/he not decided to bike instead?
I'd make it simpler than that. I simply wouldn't use any sort of "one less car" sticker, patch, pin or whatever.

I do, however, like the One Metre Matters stickers, signs, posters, etc.
Old 11-09-13, 08:07 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
[I]f fewer and fewer people own cars, the number of cars on the planet will eventually decrease.
+1

That's all that matters, really. If I had a bumper on my bike, I'd be proud to display such a sticker, especially because they seem to enrage cagers (several of whom frequent this subforum and shall remain nameless ). I do believe provocative T-shirts are more practical for the fashionable car-free cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.