Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Enraging Stories like this make me reconsider cycling

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 11:10 PM
recneps345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know of a guy in town that was hit the other day by a car by a driver that was texting. It would have been major had he not been able to hear the car coming in on him and react. He still got scratched up and bruised and his $5,000 bike is jacked. The driver pulled over admitted apologizing saying he didn't see him because he was texting on his phone. Who says this?? Then, he offers him a ride to his house. The best part....while the injured cyclist is driving with the idiot driver the driver gets a text and starts texting the person back right in front of him. Then said, I guess I should not do that, huh. I would have gone out of my mind on this guy.
Stories like this force me to realize how many idiots there are out there and how many of them are texting all over the place while driving. I watched an old guy the other day, not texting but just not looking at the road, veered off of the road totally and plowed through a curb and flowerbed of a neighborhood entrance blowing out his tire and bending the wheel. Am I the only one that is changing their riding habits based on texting habits/morons on the road these days. I really think more in the high fines/tickets etc. or going to have to start being given to cut this stuff out.
Old 04-25-14, 11:15 PM
gamby

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's precisely why I do the majority of riding on paths now instead of on the roads. It's insanely dangerous out there now.
Old 04-25-14, 11:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You guys should definitely stay at home in a dimly lit room and wrap yourselves in bubble wrap.
Old 04-25-14, 11:24 PM
recneps345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gamby
It's precisely why I do the majority of riding on paths now instead of on the roads. It's insanely dangerous out there now.
It really is. I only ride in low traffic areas, and I can always here cars coming up on me to where I can make sure they see me. Texting has really gotten rampant out there.
Old 04-25-14, 11:25 PM
recneps345

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You guys should definitely stay at home in a dimly lit room and wrap yourselves in bubble wrap.
That is definitely my only other option.
Old 04-26-14, 05:01 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Crazy, and to think a mere 30 years ago people just drove. No telephone necessary, the world went on and we cycled without this fear.
Old 04-26-14, 05:15 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 327 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12045 Post(s)
Liked 6,839 Times in 3,563 Posts
I prefer the back roads now, myself. Think I've been getting more and more gun shy the last couple of years. When I'm on a main road I'm just tense, not relaxed. It's just not worth it.
Old 04-26-14, 05:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5938 Post(s)
Liked 3,651 Times in 2,156 Posts
Originally Posted by gamby
Yeah, I'm glad I have some great MUPs near my house. There are too many drivers out there texting.
Old 04-26-14, 05:29 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5938 Post(s)
Liked 3,651 Times in 2,156 Posts
That's pretty helpful.
Old 04-26-14, 07:33 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked 601 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Crazy, and to think a mere 30 years ago people just drove. No telephone necessary, the world went on and we cycled without this fear.
Point well taken but I remember some scary moments back in the mid-70s including a time I was run off into a ditch and feared for my life.

It's a dangerous world. Life is potentially fatal.

That said, I'm very glad to live in a quaint rural and bike friendly area.
Old 04-26-14, 07:35 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Just another reason to use a mirror and check it regularly. One quick glance tells me who is coming and how they are driving, letting me track them and avoid them if necessary. It is not possible to do that without a mirror, or at least one's neck would get very sore if it was, turning around every fifteen seconds. I don't care about looking " uncool ".
Old 04-26-14, 07:43 AM
petalpower

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering buying and mounting a GoPro either on my helmet or somewhere on my frame for evidence - of asshattery or otherwise.
Old 04-26-14, 07:49 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And remember when you get hit it's because it's your fault.

Driver of SUV that killed teen cyclist now suing dead boy's family
Old 04-26-14, 07:51 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
As a totally rough estimate, I would say that about 20% of the drivers I see on the road are messing with their cell phone.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-26-14, 07:58 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Did the texting addict replace his bike? $5,000 is a lot to pay out of pocket again when someone else broke it.
Old 04-26-14, 08:38 AM
Burnette

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Csb

So the driver admits guilt, even drives cyclist home.
Did everybody miss that? A bad thing happened, caused by a doofus, but looks like it will all end well. Better than some car/bike stories go.
I watch the local news every morning and there seems to be a car accident with injuries and even deaths every other week.
Drownings at a lake two miles from me happen yearly. They are still looking for two fishermen lost two weeks ago there.
If your fear of the road outweighs your desire to ride on the road, so be it.
I totally get it and sympathize with those who choose to not ride on the road, wouldn't advocate for anybody to do something they are scared to do.
I guess I come from a different point of view about it and it colors my opinion enough that I ride the roads and see the odds the same as if I was walking down the street, riding a motorcycle or driving a car.
I have lost family and friends to car accidents and cancer. It makes us feel safe to think that we can control or outcomes.
To a degree, maybe we can.
You shouldn't tempt fate and juggle chainsaws ,but best believe you can be taken out on the couch. If it's fun, do it. If it's not, don't. Easy enough. No judgement either way.
Hope the cyclist in the OP's post heals in mind and body and that he gets his bike replaced. Whether he hangs up his shoes or
gets back on the road, whatever happens, he should enjoy doing something fun and positive, life is short.
I'm going to ride tomorrow, can't wait to get out there.
I did long rollers last week:

Going to do shorter, but steeper climbs tomorrow. Much fun. For me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
monday 3.jpg (88.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-26-14, 08:46 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by recneps345
Am I the only one that is changing their riding habits based on texting habits/morons on the road these days.
No you are not alone. Two years ago I started running a Dinotte 300+ rear flasher and a Serfas 550+ front flasher DAY AND NIGHT. I don't operate the front light on flash mode at night generally.

I believe it has made a difference in how texters and non-texters treat me on the road. Now they can see something going on very far in advance and plan their pass better - often by slowing down. This is my experience. Motorists are most definitely SEEING me better and sooner, most giving me more room than previously expected. That is huge. Especially for those looking at phones intermittently. I am literally visible at night from space I believe - and at least five blocks ahead on a bright sunny day.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 04-26-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 08:48 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by recneps345
Stories like this force me to realize how many idiots there are out there and how many of them are texting all over the place while driving.
Stories like this do NOT tell you anything about how many people actually text while driving, or bicycle safety rates.

E.g. the actual rates of distracted driving, and using electronic while driving, haven't actually increased since 2010.

Similarly, the numbers of bicycle fatalities has dropped over the past ~20 years. According to FARS, the number of bicycle fatalities in 1994 was 802; in 2011, it was 677. The rate has stayed consistent at 2% of all crash-related fatalities. Your friend's incident doesn't tell you anything about this, either.

It's good that we become more aware of distracted driving, and we should do more to get people to pay attention when behind the wheel. But one unfortunate incident involving someone you know (who, in turn, apparently wasn't smart enough to call the police when it happened) doesn't tell us anything at all about the behavior of the general public.
Old 04-26-14, 08:48 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
I am thinking that the victim should have called the police and made sure charges were filed, both to ensure that he would be covered for his losses, and so the driver would be ticketed for distracted driving.
Old 04-26-14, 08:51 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by clausen
And remember when you get hit it's because it's your fault.

Driver of SUV that killed teen cyclist now suing dead boy's family
Wow!. That is a new low.
Old 04-26-14, 08:52 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by Nachoman
As a totally rough estimate, I would say that about 20% of the drivers I see on the road are messing with their cell phone.
With ladies, at least 50%.
Old 04-26-14, 08:54 AM
surgeonstone

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
No you are not alone. Two years ago I started running a Dinotte 300+ rear flasher and a Serfas 550+ front flasher DAY AND NIGHT. I don't operate the front light on flash mode at night generally.

I believe it has made a difference in how texters and non-texters treat me on the road. Now they can see something going on very far in advance and plan their pass better - often by slowing down. This is my experience. Motorists are most definitely SEEING me better and sooner, most giving me more room than previously expected. That is huge. Especially for those looking at phones intermittently. I am literally visible at night from space I believe - and at least five blocks ahead on a bright sunny day.
I do the same, The Dinotte is amazing.
Old 04-26-14, 08:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
I am thinking that the victim should have called the police and made sure charges were filed, both to ensure that he would be covered for his losses, and so the driver would be ticketed for distracted driving.
Exactly what I was thinking. And, have them get his cell phone records. Then sue the hell out of him. I want to see people like this off the road if possible.
Old 04-26-14, 09:14 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Yeah...I can still visualize my father merging onto the freeway at rush hour steering with his elbows while lighting a smoke.

People were stupid back then too. Just only every 7 minutes or so (lifespan of a cigarette), not every 7 seconds.
Old 04-26-14, 09:37 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
A few very close calls will having you singing a different tune.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.