Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ultegra wheelset questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ultegra wheelset questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 03:36 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Originally Posted by crn3371
The Tarmac just had a smoother, liquid, feel to it compared to the Sirrus, and that’s what I’m trying to recreate. What I haven’t determined is whether it’s due to tires, wheels, or some other factor I’m missing.
It's almost certainly the tyres. If the hubs made a difference, something had to be messed up.

Although one factor that hasn't been mentioned is how the acoustic properties of the wheel can influence your subjective experience in subtle ways...

Last edited by Kimmo; 10-18-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-18-20, 04:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,021 Times in 3,455 Posts
Both bike made of the same frame material?

Pictures of the Sirrus to me seem like they have a lot of seat post out of the seat tube which probably absorbs some road bumps. And coming from a road bike with drops, if you used the drops regularly, you may have gotten a smaller frame and pulled even more seat post out to not be so upright as a Sirrus normally wants to put one.

The longer seat post out of the seat tube might create a loss of road feel or at least the perception of it . For me though, tires make the most difference and perhaps as much is how hard you inflate them.
Old 10-18-20, 04:54 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Liked 725 Times in 515 Posts
Wait, what? Are we comparing not only different wheels and tyres, but different bikes too? All bets are off, too many factors.

As far as actual smoothness of the ride goes, something like 95% of it will be the tyres and potentially the flex of a decent length of exposed carbon seatpost. The latter factor can count for about two tyre sizes worth, in the best case of around 8" or more of a light 27.2 post.
Old 10-19-20, 10:29 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's not what's being said. Weight, aerodynamics, tire compatibility, robustness, etc - there are plenty of non-vanity reasons for upgrading wheels.
While WhyFi is correct that the above are valid reasons for upgrading wheels, IMO those differences are fairly minor for the average recreational rider who is not racing, but just riding for fun. The benefits are there and certainly worth having if you have the budget, but it isnt something that will radically change your ride experience or speeds, IMO.
Old 10-19-20, 10:45 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
While WhyFi is correct that the above are valid reasons for upgrading wheels, IMO those differences are fairly minor for the average recreational rider who is not racing, but just riding for fun. The benefits are there and certainly worth having if you have the budget, but it isnt something that will radically change your ride experience or speeds, IMO.
Speed? No, we're agreed there - it's not going to make much impact.

Experience? We'll disagree here. IMO: lighter wheels feel much more fun and snappy, tubeless or, more to the point, not having to address flats on the side of the road, has vastly improved my experience, and wider rims/wheels feel and handle much, much better with the types of tires and pressures that I favor.

When I got a new bike in the spring, I *loved* it - it was hands-down the enjoyable bike upgrade that I'd ever experienced. Then I got the new wheels... It's hard to say which I enjoy more.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 10-19-20, 01:57 PM
crn3371

Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
First ride on new tires (Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28), much better ride quality compared to old 23mm Armadillos. 👍
Likes For crn3371:
Old 10-19-20, 11:08 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Experience? We'll disagree here. IMO: lighter wheels feel much more fun and snappy, tubeless or, more to the point, not having to address flats on the side of the road, has vastly improved my experience, and wider rims/wheels feel and handle much, much better with the types of tires and pressures that I favor.
I should modify my statement a little - I agree that different wheels do ride differently.. Whether that difference is noticeable or matters is something the OP should figure out for himself.

And tubeless - yeah, agreed there. I havent gone entirely tubeless yet, but am running tubeless on 3 of my 5 wheelsets, and quite like it. Tubeless would be a very good reason to get a new wheelset, especially if someone lives in an area where they are prone to flats.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 10-21-20, 08:29 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Liked 5,021 Times in 3,455 Posts
First ride on new tires (Specialized Roubaix Pro 25/28), much better ride quality compared to old 23mm Armadillos. 👍
Roubaix Armadillos? Those have puncture protection and while I've not used them, I don't consider any tire with puncture protection as their main selling point. The bead to bead puncture protection they advertise is bound to change how well you can feel the road. Likely in more harsh ride.
Old 10-21-20, 01:00 PM
msu2001la

Liked 1,495 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Buy a wheel-set from Chris King and you are set for the rest of your life.

https://chrisking.com/collections/wh...isc-r45d-28-28

It is a bit higher that your price range, but I promise you it will be worth it. These are arguably the smoothest hubs in the business, and those rims will cope with your weight no problem.
As I read this response, I was thinking "why would someone recommend Chris King when the OP is asking about budget friendly options" but then I clicked the link and started thinking...

$1200 for CK hubs, CX-ray spokes and HED Belgium plus rims is a pretty good deal. The hubs will last a lifetime and can easily be laced to new rims in the future. 1665g is also reasonably light considering how stout that HED rim is. Maybe this isn't so crazy.
Old 10-21-20, 01:03 PM
crn3371

Even better at $999 since I have rim brakes!
Old 10-21-20, 07:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Liked 3,685 Times in 2,028 Posts
Even better at $999 since I have rim brakes!
That's not much more than the same rims go for with the Hed factory hubs and build.
Old 10-22-20, 06:37 PM
crn3371

In looking at some higher spoke count offerings I found a set from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Dura-Ace 7900 hubs laced to the house brand Blackset Race rims. These are on closeout for $450, with no warranty. Wheels are laced 32/32, with DT Swiss spokes and nipples. Rim is old school @ 24mm deep and 19.5 wide, which is same size as my existing rims, so I know everything will fit. While not the sharpest looking wheels I’m assuming that the 7900’s are good hubs, and the 32/32 lacing will support my 220lbs.
Old 11-01-20, 10:39 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
So, for the average recreational rider, upgrading your wheelset is essentially an exercise in cosmetics?
No, no, no, brother. Upgrading wheels is the single best upgrade you can make to a bike. Bikes, even higher priced ones tend to come with cheap wheels to make a price point. I am going with Dura ace hubs (or PW, CK) because when a hub goes out, unless you are a good mech with the proper tools, you are f-ed. I got a nice framed (carbon) bike for a good price (from Bike Shop Warehouse) and the cheap rear hub went out after 300 miles. The hub needs replacing which will run me more than $200, about the price of my cheap wheels. It is more cost effective to just replace the wheels. If you are going to replace the wheels (assuming you like the bike) it will take some time. It should be mentioned that BSW refused to do anything about it (or the other problems I have had with the bike).

So essentially I am bikeless for a few weeks while all my parts/homework get done.

Conversely, If a derailleur goes out I can just slap another one on. Easy peasy and even a ****ty mech like me can do it,

So, what is the take away? A hub going out is a big deal. Therefore it is worth it to invest in Dura ace (or PW, CK, etc) even if I am going aluminum and building a mid tier priced wheelset.

Last edited by RadDog; 11-01-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-08-20, 07:20 AM
force10

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
In looking at some higher spoke count offerings I found a set from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Dura-Ace 7900 hubs laced to the house brand Blackset Race rims. These are on closeout for $450, with no warranty. Wheels are laced 32/32, with DT Swiss spokes and nipples. Rim is old school @ 24mm deep and 19.5 wide, which is same size as my existing rims, so I know everything will fit. While not the sharpest looking wheels I’m assuming that the 7900’s are good hubs, and the 32/32 lacing will support my 220lbs.
Did you get these?
Old 11-08-20, 10:26 AM
crn3371

Haven’t bought anything yet, still on the fence. The main reason I haven’t bought them is strictly vanity, they just look boring. Don’t flame me, I know you can’t see them while on the road, but aren’t many (most?) of the upgrades people make on their bikes at least partially influenced by looks? I’ve been all over the place with alternative wheelsets, Campy Zondas, DT Swiss PR1600, Chinese carbon from Amazon. The latest front runners are a handmade set from John Neugent at Neugent Cycling, sub 1500g and sub $500. John’s been building wheels forever and I can add some bling by adding some color to the hubs and nipples, plus there’s an actual person I can deal with should there be any problems, something I really can’t do if I were to buy from the UK.
Old 11-08-20, 10:49 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by force10
Did you get these?

I purchased the Blackset 24's with the 9000 Dura Ace hubs. $480 was just too good to pass up. 32 dt swis spokes and 1620 grams. I can live with the weight....they are about 1000 grams lighter than what I had for the durability.

Yes they are plain aluminum....but so what, I don't have to worry about my hubs going out and they have transformed my bike. Get them.
Old 11-08-20, 11:01 AM
crn3371

I hear you RadDog, in fact BWW sweetened the pot so to speak by offering me the previous version for $399. Dura-Ace 7900 and narrower wheels. It’s a head vs heart decision process for me.
Old 11-08-20, 11:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,747 Times in 4,307 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
I purchased the Blackset 24's with the 9000 Dura Ace hubs. $480 was just too good to pass up. 32 dt swis spokes and 1620 grams. I can live with the weight....they are about 1000 grams lighter than what I had for the durability.

Yes they are plain aluminum....but so what, I don't have to worry about my hubs going out and they have transformed my bike. Get them.
1000g lighter? What wheelset were you using before?!
Old 11-08-20, 11:19 AM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1000g lighter? What wheelset were you using before?!
Weinman DP 18's. They are anchors.
Old 11-08-20, 11:21 AM
RadDog
Banned.

I hear you RadDog, in fact BWW sweetened the pot so to speak by offering me the previous version for $399. Dura-Ace 7900 and narrower wheels. It’s a head vs heart decision process for me.
Do you have a 10 speed cassette? The hubs are worth nearly $400. My frame is red and parts are black, so the rims look just fine. I would pull the trigger if I were you.
Old 11-08-20, 12:32 PM
crn3371

Yes, 10 speed, and that isn’t going to change. I have 6 hours left on their offer. Trying to decide if 9000 hubs over 7900 hubs and a couple of mm in wheel width is worth $80.