Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadside Tire Repair

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadside Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 10:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 1,810 Posts
Roadside Tire Repair

After getting stuck with a damaged tire last year on Mt. Hamilton, 12 miles from my car (thank you, Good Samaritan, for picking me up), I determined to not get stuck in the same situation. Fool me once -- you know the rest.

I added the following items to my saddle roll:Well, on yesterday's descent, my rear tire blew from striking a rock, at almost exactly the same place on the road. The cut in the sidewall was substantial -- I could push my pinkie finger through it. I got my tire repair materials from the saddle roll, cut off a piece of ripstop nylon about 1" larger than the hole (rounding off the corners), dabbed some super glue on the inside of the tire, and pressed the patch in place. Time to repair, including hand-pumping with silly small mini pump: 20 minutes.

The fix worked like a charm. I was expecting to see a bulge in the sidewall when inflated, but the combination of nylon and super glue was enough to keep the hole from opening up at all. I can hardly tell where the tire was damaged. I was able to complete the descent at normal (fast) speed.

Any way, if your travels take you to places where a tire failure means a multi-hour walk in bike shoes, I recommend adding something similar to your repair kit.

Old 04-18-24, 10:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7029 Post(s)
Liked 11,055 Times in 4,726 Posts
I just carry these.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-18-24, 10:25 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 3,185 Times in 1,676 Posts
I use a strip of old tire, bout 1" x 3", with the bead cut out
Old 04-18-24, 12:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 375 Posts
Duct tape
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 04-18-24, 01:25 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 690 Posts
is this a special thing for tubeless? for tubed tires i use paper money. when i don't have that (very rare) i'll plan on looking around for some paper blowing in teh wind because we humans are dirty pigs paper is bound to be easy to find.

normally i'd agree with the duct tape. i'm using that on a tire that i crashed in for my trainer. it bulges a lot. would not be save to ride on.
Old 04-18-24, 01:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
is this a special thing for tubeless?
No. If you need to boot a tubeless tire on the roadside, you're throwing in a tube, just like everybody else, but it'd be a hell of a party trick to re-seat a tubeless tire with a mini-pump.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-18-24, 01:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7029 Post(s)
Liked 11,055 Times in 4,726 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
is this a special thing for tubeless? for tubed tires i use paper money.
Yep, currency is very strong. I once used half a dollar bill (so it only cost me $.50 -- ) to temporarily boot a gashed tire while out on the road. Finished my ride and forgot all about it. A couple thousand miles later, when the tire was completely worn out, I replaced it and found the half dollar bill. It did the job beautifully.
Old 04-18-24, 03:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
A third on paper money. I try to carry at least 5 bills. I've used several for large gashes. But I cannot see using half as bill. Fold it over and spend it when you are done! I've laundered them after. Yes, I know that's a federal crime but no one's complained so far about getting clean dough.
Old 04-18-24, 04:29 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 948 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Duct tape
My brother was running tubeless on his Emonda when he encountered a sidewall slice that did not seal with sealant.
I had a strip of Gorilla Tape holding a spare tube together and he was able to patch his tire well enough to seal and hold air.
Old 04-19-24, 04:24 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I just carry these.
+1. Park TB-2. First day of my Erie Canal tour, last summer, near the end of the day, I hit something which slashed the rear tire and tube, about a 1” cut. I found a nice shady spot to remove all the baggage and the rear wheel. Booted, tubed, reinflated and reinstalled. Over the next 24 hours of finding another tire and riding east on the unpaved tow path to my campground for the night, that tire/boot held up fine for 60 miles, fully loaded. After making camp I swapped out the tire. The boot was very durable and saved the trip.
Old 04-19-24, 07:24 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Kinda weird but I and now all in the family carry a dollar bill size or larger piece for larger tires cut from a hazmat suit. A little rougher surface than a dollar bill and lots stronger, seals and holds up very well.
Old 04-19-24, 11:10 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I just carry these.
I've used those stick-on Park boots before, but I've also had them fail pretty quickly.

They don't hold the tire gash closed very tightly, so if the hole is on a part of the tire that touches the road, the boot wears through in several miles.

I like my ballistic nylon/super glue patch better, as it holds the gash securely closed. I've ridden a few hundred miles on a tire patched in this manner.

Gorilla tape might work just as well. It's strong, not stretchy, and very sticky. But how to carry it in your saddle bag?

Old 04-19-24, 04:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,952 Times in 1,393 Posts
I simply carry a light spare tire, been doing that for many years. A spare tire solves all tire problems more quickly than anything else. Have a flat? Don't bother looking for the cause, just put on the spare and a good tube and off you go, very quickly. Do the repair at home. Of course that only works for folks who still use tubes or TLR rims and who still use light tires.
Old 04-19-24, 04:58 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I've used those stick-on Park boots before, but I've also had them fail pretty quickly.

They don't hold the tire gash closed very tightly, so if the hole is on a part of the tire that touches the road, the boot wears through in several miles.

I like my ballistic nylon/super glue patch better, as it holds the gash securely closed. I've ridden a few hundred miles on a tire patched in this manner.

Gorilla tape might work just as well. It's strong, not stretchy, and very sticky. But how to carry it in your saddle bag?
I may have missed it but were you running a tube or tubeless? I just switched to tubeless and still carry my obligatory two spare tubes, boot and patch kit. Wondering how much of a pain the sealant is.
Old 04-19-24, 05:03 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I may have missed it but were you running a tube or tubeless? I just switched to tubeless and still carry my obligatory two spare tubes, boot and patch kit. Wondering how much of a pain the sealant is.
I running with tubes.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-19-24, 06:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,106 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

I don’t believe Gorilla Tape is avail in sheets - but this stuff is :

Likes For t2p:
Old 04-19-24, 06:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 5,546 Times in 2,877 Posts
I just carry these.
^This.
These work a hell of a lot better than just using a piece of an old inner tube, because the adhesive solidly holds them in place, AND they don't bulge out of the hole under pressure.
I used them twice to patch holes big enough to push my thumb through.
Old 04-19-24, 08:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 1,024 Posts
I always have a couple of dollars on me that I can just put inside the tire and it keeps the tube from going through the hole. I also have a little duct tape wrapped around my tire tool so I took a little piece of the tape to tack the dollar in place and put the tube in, and I was on my way. Same concept .

Old 04-20-24, 08:06 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I've long since cut back to one spare tube and a patch kit. Never had to resort to the patch kit *knock on wood.*

Sealant can be a mess but - at worst - just carefully break the bead and spill it out. With an effective sealant and some darts/plugs, that shouldn't be a problem that you encounter very often, though (unless you're riding supple tires through war-torn streets).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-20-24, 08:49 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 269 Posts
Long ago, I moved on from currency to precut pieces of Tyvek. You know, from fedex or usps envelopes. Free!
A larger sheet folds up incredibly small in my bag, in case I need chest protection for a chilly descent.
By the way, those free Tyvek strips work for a friend's cut tire, as well, rather than me coughing up a bill. lol
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-21-24, 08:12 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 442 Posts
Totally, Terrymorse, gotta carry tire repair stuff - at least for workable booting.
I would guess the Park Tools patch would be good.
But I've been using Duct tape for decades, and never let down on emergency tire repairs - as long as the 'bead' hasn't been cut. Gorilla tape would be the same, except Duct tape can be 'cut' by tearing...
I wrap the duct tape around one tire lever, enough to have about 3-4 in of full width. If seems a serious cut, I'll do 2 layers of duct tape, perpendicular to each other. Never been let down by it.
TYVEK - Great idea ! I use Tyvek for many things, including as a ground sheet for my tent, when backpacking... super light, tough, tough, tough! Also thin and nicely slick - I use a sheet (USPS envelope) to help me get my foot into my Nordica Doberman Ski Boots, which are an absolute horror to get in and out of (but, oh what a fit and performance!)
section of TYVEK under duct tape - Brilliant ! TYVEK going into the seat bag, now...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT - for emergency work, I always carry, in the saddle bag, 3-4 of those small paper napkins you get at coffee shops, to clean the hands after doing any on-road repairs - always enough space to squish a few in. Even changing tubes can sometimes be messy... it's the 'German' in me... LOL !

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-21-24 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-21-24, 09:40 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked 5,546 Times in 2,877 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
EDIT - for emergency work, I always carry, in the saddle bag, 3-4 of those small paper napkins you get at coffee shops, to clean the hands after doing any on-road repairs - always enough space to squish a few in. Even changing tubes can sometimes be messy... it's the 'German' in me... LOL !
A even better solution is not to get the hands dirty at all.
That is why I always carry a few disposable vinyl gloves in my tool bag.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 04-21-24, 11:07 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,620 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
I don’t believe Gorilla Tape is avail in sheets - but this stuff is :

I leave a strip of gorilla tape stuck to the bottom of my pack for this purpose.
Old 04-21-24, 11:49 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I simply carry a light spare tire, been doing that for many years.
I just started carrying a spare tire again: Totally Tubular - Page 130 - Bike Forums

FIFM:
A spare tire solves all tire problems more quickly than anything else. Have a flat? Don't bother looking for the cause, just put on the spare and a good tube and off you go, very quickly. Do the repair at home. Of course that only works for folks who still use sew-ups tubes or TLR rims and who still use light tires.
Old 04-23-24, 09:34 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I live in San Diego, and there is an unfortunate amount of glass, sharp rocks and other debris roadside. Would putting tubeless sealant in a tube help with punctures?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.