Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A few days in the French Alps

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 09:30 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

Will be in the Le Bourg area the third week in June.

Looking for any tips, info, things to do/not to do. Typical weather in the valley/on the Col's?

I will have 3 days there, two for cycling. possibly 2.5.

Looking to rent a bike local, seems like I can get a Colnago for 80 euros per day +/-. Anyone ever rent in the area? Any pitfalls?

Climbing Huez is a must do - I understand its not the best climb, but has to be done.

Depending on how I feel after the Alpe - I was thinking of descending the Alpe on the north side down to Allemond, then doing Col de la Croix-de Fer.

Or go big on day 2 and do Croix from Allemond, descend down to the base of the Telegrapghe/Galibier and attempt that beast... then descend down to Col Du Lautaret, then back to Allemond.

How is the road/traffic from Lautaret to Allemond?

Open to any tips.

And either one or two of the days my 13 year old son will be riding with me (he's been training, and we will have a support car)
Old 01-19-24, 12:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
If you're riding from Allemond to the Croix de Fer, might as well bag the Glandon on the way. It's a short climb, and the views are pretty:

Last edited by terrymorse; 01-20-24 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-19-24, 12:28 PM
Jughed

^^ yes, was thinking about that detour.
Old 01-20-24, 07:35 AM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Following this thread because I'd like to do something similar in a few years when my son is about that age. Are you planning to bring him a bike or find something to rent there?
Old 01-20-24, 07:45 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
It will be hot. 30+ is likely in the valleys.
Old 01-20-24, 09:38 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by force10
Following this thread because I'd like to do something similar in a few years when my son is about that age. Are you planning to bring him a bike or find something to rent there?
Renting a bike for him as well. Local shop rents Colnago and Bianchs for 80/50 euros per day.

80 bucks to drive a Ferrari in the alps is fine with me!

He has a Zwift hub to train on, so we can try Huez and Ventoux prior to heading there. He rides well now, but this trip has him inspired.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 01-20-24, 09:40 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by choddo
It will be hot. 30+ is likely in the valleys.
Thats doable, we have the same weather here.

was thinking of just packing light rain jackets for the peaks? Not sure that’s enough…
Old 01-20-24, 10:27 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Jughed
Thats doable, we have the same weather here.

was thinking of just packing light rain jackets for the peaks? Not sure that’s enough…
As long as windproof would probably work fine.

This is a good site
https://epicroadrides.com/cycling-bl...-alps-weather/
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-22-24, 06:44 AM
Jughed

Air B&B booked in Le Bourg!! Getting stoked about this!!!

Rode the Alpe on Zwift yesterday, my son did it as well. He has some work to do!!

Then we watched some old TDF clips - sub 40 min times up the Alp... bananas,..
Likes For Jughed:
Old 01-22-24, 07:52 AM
choddo

Yeah even with the very large question marks over the quickest times, Quintana did it in under 40 in 2015. Amazing. My best AdZ time is 56 I think and I’m not getting close to that in the real world
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-22-24, 10:21 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 191 Posts
La Solude and the climb from the valley to Les Deux Alpes

Climbing Alpe d’ Huez is a must. Right across the valley floor is a climb I highly recommend called La Solude

Here is the route I did to climb La Solude https://strava.app.link/51QcLeXgAGb

I was in the area in 2022 to do the Etape. If you want to recreate that, it started in Briancon, climbed the Lauteret and Galibier, descended to the base of the Croix de Fer, climbed that, descended to the Bourg d’Oisans, then climbed the Alpe. Here is a link to that route. https://strava.app.link/qNhFC2HiAGb

Going back to Solude, the climb is a narrow road with very few cars. Great view of Alpe de Huez on the climb. Start and end in the Bourg D’Oisans. If you like vintage bikes, check out La Bicicletta in the Bourg on the valley floor.
https://labiciclettafr.business.site...edium=referral

Laurent is a fabulous and friendly guy. Very limited English so brush up on your French. Very passionate about vintage race bikes. He has an annual event in June or July where they do a ride from his shop to the top of the Alpe D’Huez. Rent a vintage bike for a day or two!

At the south end of the valley is the climb to Les Deux Alpes which is a good challenge but not as hard as the others. You can take a bike lift up from the south road if you want a day of less climbing and some fast descending. You take D1091 south from the Bourg to D530 toward Venosc.

All of the riding in that area is great and the drivers are respectful. Big cycling Mecca so you will not be alone. Enjoy your time there!
Likes For Sactown_Albert:
Old 01-22-24, 10:22 PM
Sactown_Albert 

Bikes: 2017 Sage Skyline, 2015 Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 2006 Kona Jake, 1986 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1977 Peugeot UO18c, 1977 Peugeot PRN10, 1974 Allegro Schweitzermeister Model 76, 1972 Hugo Rickert Spezial

Renting bikes is fine

Bring your own saddle, and pedals if you use clipless.
Old 01-22-24, 10:26 PM
Sactown_Albert 

A map with what I described above

Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
Climbing Alpe d’ Huez is a must. Right across the valley floor is a climb I highly recommend called La Solude

Here is the route I did to climb La Solude https://strava.app.link/51QcLeXgAGb

I was in the area in 2022 to do the Etape. If you want to recreate that, it started in Briancon, climbed the Lauteret and Galibier, descended to the base of the Croix de Fer, climbed that, descended to the Bourg d’Oisans, then climbed the Alpe. Here is a link to that route. https://strava.app.link/qNhFC2HiAGb

Going back to Solude, the climb is a narrow road with very few cars. Great view of Alpe de Huez on the climb. Start and end in the Bourg D’Oisans. If you like vintage bikes, check out La Bicicletta in the Bourg on the valley floor.
https://labiciclettafr.business.site...edium=referral

Laurent is a fabulous and friendly guy. Very limited English so brush up on your French. Very passionate about vintage race bikes. He has an annual event in June or July where they do a ride from his shop to the top of the Alpe D’Huez. Rent a vintage bike for a day or two!

At the south end of the valley is the climb to Les Deux Alpes which is a good challenge but not as hard as the others. You can take a bike lift up from the south road if you want a day of less climbing and some fast descending. You take D1091 south from the Bourg to D530 toward Venosc.

All of the riding in that area is great and the drivers are respectful. Big cycling Mecca so you will not be alone. Enjoy your time there!

Where I circled is where you take the bike lift up to Les Deux Alpes.
Old 01-22-24, 11:10 PM
Sactown_Albert 

The ad for this year’s vintage climb of Alp D’Huez

Old 01-23-24, 03:45 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by Sactown_Albert
Bring your own saddle, and pedals if you use clipless.
aye although most bike hire places will ask what type of pedals you want.
Likes For choddo:
Old 01-23-24, 04:30 AM
Jughed

Great info all...!!!

Will be bringing my pedals and computer - power meter pedals. Was thinking of bringing my saddle - but I'm not very sensitive to different saddles.

My son rides flat pedals, I will look and see if that's an option or if we should bring some.

There will be 5 of us traveling for 2 weeks - airlines have gotten very stingy with baggage allowance. Carry on and backpack - everything else is $$$$. Space and weight are a thing... need to pack just the essentials.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 01-23-24, 04:40 AM
choddo

I would get your son into some cleats a few times before going. Having to manage foot position on those big climbs is extra effort no one needs.

Ref airline costs - tell me about it. Half the price of my trip to Spain in April is baggage. And a taxi from the airport to the hotel ONE WAY costs the same as the return flight!