Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1972 Gitane Tour de France

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 07:46 AM
Mace350

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
1972 Gitane Tour de France

Is it worth the price? It's less than a mile from my work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-All-Ori...51001357256%26
Old 02-27-13, 08:19 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Sharp looking bike. It's one of those you'd never want out of your site. I'm curious about the Campagnolo wheels, as typically French bikes pretty much had all French components, but I am not a Gitane expert. Wait for TMar or Chombi to weigh in, they're the French bike experts.

I'd say the seller is about 20-25% over FMV, considering what PX10s and similar other 531's are going for, but condition is everything.
Old 02-27-13, 09:11 AM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
I sold Gitane during the boom and this one is sending up some flags with respect to orginality. Campagnolo hubs were a factory option but the rims were tubular and these appear to clincher which was a common aftermarket modification. Regardless, the rims aren't matched, so the're not OEM. The forks were half painted. The standard crankset was a Stronglight 93, though we've seen quite a few with Sugino and there's been some buzz about possible distributor substitution due to shortages and or defects. Still, until there's some solid proof, everybody is going to consider Stronglight as OEM.

Personally, I find market pricing on these French, mid-range models to be too high, but this one is ridiculous, even though it appears to be in very nice condition. Let's face it, outside of the tubing, tubular wheels and crankset, these bicycles weren't much above your typical entry level model. Personally, I think this one is about double what the average market value should be. Even taking into account that you're in a hot market, with spring rapidly approaching, I still think it's about 35% overpriced. But be advised that I'm constantly being criticized for undervaluing on boom era, French models.
Old 02-27-13, 09:25 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Liked 1,004 Times in 645 Posts
+1 To TMar, and just one pic? Seller needs to take an ebay marketing class. Lousy ad, with one mediocre picture + high shipping + real high price = dreamland.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-27-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 01:05 PM
Mace350

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the input, I wasn't worried about shipping as I live in Cambridge but just wasn't sure on the price. Pass for me...
Old 02-27-13, 06:13 PM
big chainring 

Liked 752 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I sold Gitane during the boom and this one is sending up some flags with respect to orginality. Campagnolo hubs were a factory option but the rims were tubular and these appear to clincher which was a common aftermarket modification. Regardless, the rims aren't matched, so the're not OEM. The forks were half painted. The standard crankset was a Stronglight 93, though we've seen quite a few with Sugino and there's been some buzz about possible distributor substitution due to shortages and or defects. Still, until there's some solid proof, everybody is going to consider Stronglight as OEM.

Personally, I find market pricing on these French, mid-range models to be too high, but this one is ridiculous, even though it appears to be in very nice condition. Let's face it, outside of the tubing, tubular wheels and crankset, these bicycles weren't much above your typical entry level model. Personally, I think this one is about double what the average market value should be. Even taking into account that you're in a hot market, with spring rapidly approaching, I still think it's about 35% overpriced. But be advised that I'm constantly being criticized for undervaluing on boom era, French models.
Say What? Not much above an entry level? They're full 531.

I've had several of these come through my workshop. All had Campagnolo Tipo hubs w/tubular rims.
I think the Sugino cranks may have an advantage as far as replacing worn rings easily. The Simplex derailleurs are top notch. The Mafac Competition brakes are great. These are nice riding racing bikes.

Am I on the C&V forum?

Price is a bit high, but if this is the bike you're really looking for, I'd go for it.
Old 02-27-13, 08:25 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Quite likely a replacement fork, which is a major red flag to me. Value would top out about 400$ or so, and that assumes original fork. I'm uncertain on the fork's provenance-- every TDF I've seen had half chromed forks, so I'd be looking very carefully at this bike were it offered to me.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 02-27-13, 08:43 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Liked 303 Times in 100 Posts
If the fork is original and it is in really nice condition, $5 0 0 is a fair price. If the fork is a replacement, the value is half that. I've had a near NOS that came with Tipo hubs and Sugino cranks. FWIW, the ride on these is pretty spectacular.....
Old 02-27-13, 09:10 PM
repechage

Liked 2,849 Times in 2,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone
Quite likely a replacement fork, which is a major red flag to me. Value would top out about 400$ or so, and that assumes original fork. I'm uncertain on the fork's provenance-- every TDF I've seen had half chromed forks, so I'd be looking very carefully at this bike were it offered to me.
I really think the chrome fork is a replacement.

The Sugino cranks probably are original but with French threaded pedal holes.

The Tipo hubs are also most likely original but as advised earlier, the rims are not. Original were Mavic tubulars.

Even if it is nearby, this is not the one to purchase.
Old 02-27-13, 10:07 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
+1 One picture in the ad? What is the seller thinking???

Fork is suspect and components are really mismatched. Price might make sense if original, but this bike is really far from. Pass. Value is less than half the asking price IMO.
Old 02-28-13, 06:06 AM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got $550.00 plus shipping for my '76 a couple years ago and it wasn't all original but at least mine had it's fork.

Old 02-28-13, 08:08 AM
Mace350

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
If I were to test it out and liked it what would be a good offer? I was going to pass but now I'm wondering if I could get him into the $300's the bike would make an awesome commuter and long weekend rider. (I've read these are comfy long haul bikes)
I know that's half the asking price but that guy lists multiple ads all over and some vary by hundreds. Example-He had a Paramount listed for $1500 and also listed it on craigslist for $800 so it may not be unreasonable to offer half or less.
Old 02-28-13, 08:59 AM
bobbycorno

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looks to me like the fork may actually be OE - the crown is right, and they were all chrome under the paint. Considering that everything else looks original, 'cept the brake shoes... If it was my size I'd be sorely tempted. Oh, and I had two TdF's bitd. Both came with Tipo hubs OE. Wish I still had the bigger one.

SP
OC, OR
Old 02-28-13, 09:04 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Print out this page with "thread tools", take it with you and good luck! You can tell the seller these guys buy and sell bikes quicker than the Redskins change coaches.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-13, 09:05 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Offer him what its worth to you. I would not worry about offering too low, he will just say no if its not what he needs. I cannot see the saddle well enough, but the 72's in the midwest came with Ideal 90's with the alloy frames, that saddle appears to have a steel frame, but I cannot tell the model nor make. Thats probably not an issue though, as there lots of substitutions going on back then.
Old 02-28-13, 01:16 PM
T-Mar

Liked 3,052 Times in 1,885 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring

I've had several of these come through my workshop. All had Campagnolo Tipo hubs w/tubular rims.
I think the Sugino cranks may have an advantage as far as replacing worn rings easily. The Simplex derailleurs are top notch. The Mafac Competition brakes are great. These are nice riding racing bikes.

Am I on the C&V forum?

Price is a bit high, but if this is the bike you're really looking for, I'd go for it.
You need to got back and read my post, carefully. I acknowledged the tubeset, crankset and tubulars and tubulars. I said the rest of the bicyle (i.e. outside of the tubing, crankset and tubulars) wasn't much above entry level.

Now let's look at the big differences. Yes, it's got a 531 frame but it's still a mass volume frame. The fork may be a stripped original or it may be a replacement. Even if it OEM, you've lost the paint and the proof via the 531 decal. Big deduction.

The wheels have mismatched rims and don't appear to be tubulars. While they not steel clinchers they're also not tubulars. Another deduction. Mismatched is a further deduction.

Finally there's the crankset. Maybe the Sugino has advantages for ring replacement (and using a standard puller), and maybe it is OEM but it's not what was cataloged and more importantly, not what buyers expect on a mid-range, boom era, French bicycle. I think this is the biggest deduction of all.

I readily acknowledge that I price the French, boom era models lower than almost everybody else on this forum. Strangley, the is seems to be one case where I have quite a few members agreeing with me.
Old 02-28-13, 06:17 PM
big chainring 

Liked 752 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Originally Posted by big chainring

Am I on the C&V forum?

You need to got back and read my post, carefully. I acknowledged the tubeset, crankset and tubulars and tubulars. I said the rest of the bicyle (i.e. outside of the tubing, crankset and tubulars) wasn't much above entry level.

Now let's look at the big differences. Yes, it's got a 531 frame but it's still a mass volume frame. The fork may be a stripped original or it may be a replacement. Even if it OEM, you've lost the paint and the proof via the 531 decal. Big deduction.

The wheels have mismatched rims and don't appear to be tubulars. While they not steel clinchers they're also not tubulars. Another deduction. Mismatched is a further deduction.

Finally there's the crankset. Maybe the Sugino has advantages for ring replacement (and using a standard puller), and maybe it is OEM but it's not what was cataloged and more importantly, not what buyers expect on a mid-range, boom era, French bicycle. I think this is the biggest deduction of all.

I readily acknowledge that I price the French, boom era models lower than almost everybody else on this forum. Strangley, the is seems to be one case where I have quite a few members agreeing with me.
I am on the other end of the spectrum. I put a higher value on French Boom era bikes and these Gitanes in particular.
Old 03-01-13, 01:33 PM
Mace350

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Answer was no to my offer, sold in the six hundreds...I'll wait for another to come up in my size.
Old 03-01-13, 02:09 PM
kc0yef 

Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
+1 To TMar, and just one pic? Seller needs to take an ebay marketing class. Lousy ad, with one mediocre picture + high shipping + real high price = dreamland.
I find it strangs how this bike made $600
Old 03-01-13, 04:02 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Given the metro DC market, I'm not surprised at all.
Old 03-01-13, 04:52 PM
repechage

Liked 2,849 Times in 2,011 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0yef
I find it strangs how this bike made $600
Considering what $600 will purchase new, perhaps it is not a surprise, there must have been a bidding war of some sort.